Toro's snow power shovel

I saw this ad for this product for $109. Does anyone recommend this unit for shoveling snow in front of a house? Obviously, going to need a long exenstion cord. Is it worth it? Any pros and cons from previous users?

Reply to
Anthona

I have one and find it practically useless. It will work on my deck with a few inches of powder snow but it is easier to use a shovel.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

I've often wondered about these, too. I have a lot of sidewalk and zero desire to maintain or store a snowblower. Sounds like I'd better keep hiring ambitious neighborhood kids.

Jo Ann

Anth> I saw this ad for this product for $109. Does anyone recommend this

Reply to
jah213

I had one when I lived up north in NY. It was good for powdery snow up to about 6 inches. Wet snow clogged it up. I used to make a quick pass every 3 or 4 inches. Much better than a shovel as long as it's powdery.

Reply to
jerryl

note I quit using my snowblower for the following reasons.

it tosses a rock in the snow many times the distance it throws snow.

its hard work pushing it around.

most memorable the rubber paddles shined my sidewalk it was preety:)

by next morning a slight dusting covered the shine I fell and hurt my back badly, that was over 20 years ago it was never the same.

shovel is easier to use, safer and more dependable

although i would love heated sidewalks or better moving to florida at least for the winter.......

my experiences were all with a gasoline driven jacobsen......

Reply to
hallerb

Haven't used one but my opinion is the same as the others. Okay for powder, useless and more work for anything else.

All the adds for power equipment for homeowners only show them being used in ideal conditions. Thus great plumes of snow from 2 stage blowers, or from the 'power shovels' They never show how much work it is to use one when the snow is wet or working down the berm that the highway department plowed into your drive. I just finished my 100 ft x

3 car wide yesterday with my little 21" 2-stage, power wheel. All powder (except for the berm) and only about 4". Still a major workout.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Those little ones are useles. Toro does make a larger electric one that is similar to a 3hp. I personally rather use gas snowblowers anyhow. Somehow the idea of an electric cord and a bunch of frozen water doesnt sound good. A nice little 2 cycle single stage unit can give you years of service without any major maintenance. Just drain the gas and run it dry works for me.

Tom

Anth> I saw this ad for this product for $109. Does anyone recommend this

Reply to
tksirius

One year I had eight inches or so of snow outside. I stomped around back and got the electric snow blower I'd picked off the curb. A Sunbeam, or something. Yellow and white. Wow, it sure made short work of the snow. I was totally impressed. Since then I got a used two cycle gas power snow blower, and really love it. Mine is a Toro, and it's several years old. I'm at least the third owner.

The reviews were mixed on this particular model.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On 29 Nov 2006 06:01:17 -0800, "Anthona" wrote in alt.home.repair:

I bought one at the beginning of this month via Amazon.com. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Shipping Method: FREE Super Saver Shipping

Subtotal of Items: $79.99 Shipping & Handling: $16.44 Super Saver Discount: -$16.44

------ Total for this Order: $79.99 Shipping estimate for these items: November 7, 2006 Delivery estimate: November 9, 2006 - November 10, 2006

"Toro 38360 Electric Power Shovel Plus" Tools & Hardware; $79.99

Reply to
25th Century Quaker

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Bimbo

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Bimbo

I've got a Toro Power Shovel and live north of Chicago. We just got hit by that heavy storm last night. It works great as long as: 1) you get on it as soon as it has fallen, ng on frozen in place snow or the show has been trod upon and packed.

2) the snow depth is not over the height of the flail of the front of the shovel. This latest snow in Chicago was around 5" where I live. It was very heavy and wet. The Toro worked fine on it. So well in fact I also did the neighbor's. My wife used the hand shovel for "excercise" and now I'm rubbing her sore back.
Reply to
kv888831393ster

shoveling snow in front of a house? Obviously, going to need a long exenstion cord. Is it worth it? Any pros and cons from previous users?

Do they have any left in stock. I can't find any. Thanks

Reply to
Rusty Boldt