Tool apprasal

I need to get a bunch of "general contractor" tools I want to purchase appraised. Can anyone give me an idea where I'd start looking for someone to do this? I'm in Ontario if it makes a difference.

Reply to
HotRod

Get brand and model numbers and check to see what new price is. In good shape figure 50% of new. In great shape, add a bit, if rough, subtract allot! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

What does 'allot' mean?

Reply to
PanHandler

Not so surprising when you didn't give full information in your first post. There is no one on a newsgroup that can help you price a rental place's tool inventory without looking at the tools and checking the condition.

RicodJour

For the life of me I couldn't have imagined an email war starting over such a simple topic. I'm looking at buying a ton of tools from a local Rental shop that is going out of business, after looking at his prices a lot of his items are priced way to high. This I know from the items I already own, however it's the other items that I'm not sure about a price on (Sand blaster, Bob Cat Skid steer, SOD cutter etc...)

Reply to
HotRod

You have need or just wish?

If the latter, just make an offer of what you want to part with or make a package deal offer.

Evaluating used stuff is tough--particularly rental stuff is often severely abused owing to the "not mine" mentality of renters combined w/ a lot of it used by unpracticed folks. I'd discount pretty heavily anything that isn't obviously pretty new unless it were something I really and it seemed a reasonable deal.

In general, I use more of a "what feels right" approach than hard and fast numbers. Most metro areas are large enough that there will be most types of equipment listed in classifieds and there are I assume, the various free or nearly free equipment and car/truck advertising services to check. Also, there are online used equipment outfits as well as the ubiquitous eBay, of course.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I realize that but I was hoping someone could help me find someone or somewhere that could get me the help I need.

Reply to
HotRod

I still hold to my advice, but now that it is rental tools I would offer lower price than if from a private seller. Most rental tools I have seen are pretty well used and abused! Visual condition will tell allot. Looks like new? 1/2 of new price, as the condition drops value drops to zero fast! Also how bad you want the stuff will affect the price. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

HotRod, the helpful suggestion that I saw was to use ebay. It is a real marketplace with no middlemen, where prices are voluntary. That's why I always consider ebay prices to be "fair prices" and try to buy things at below that price.

Ignoramus12004

and then click the link for Froogle.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I would not buy anything from a rental outfit. They know much better both the values of tools as well as their condition. Thusly the buyer is at an informational disadvantage. I would not even bother talking to them.

Ignoramus12004