Toilet slow to start filling (~2 min)

Bathroom toilet is really slow (not quite trickling) to fill up for about 2 mimutes after it is flushed and then starts to fill and tops off quickly after that. Just a slow starter. Any ideas? Is this something I can take apart and clean out (since it's probably 20+ years old) or do I have to replace?

Thanks !

Reply to
Shep

If it's 20 years old, it's not worth trying to repair the flush-fill mechanism, but that doesn't mean you have to replace the whole toilet. Go to your nearest hardware store or home center and get a Fluidmaster.

For six-fifty at Lowe's

hard to beat.

Doug Miller

For about $30-$40 you can replace the guts, it's just something that has to be done once and a while. Washers get hard or worn, build up is inevitable. I recently put into a new product -- a pressure type valve which replaced the old float and valve mechanism. A has a small adjustment screw which allows you to set the water level. My toilet went from taking 2-3 minutes to now taking less than 30 seconds. Don't forget you still need to have an overflow pipe for backup and safety reasons.

Reply to
Alan Smithee

I have no idea how old the one in my master bath is, but I had a similar problem until yesterday. I pulled the guts out and removed a little corkscrew looking piece of rubber out of the inlet to the bottom of the filler valve and now it works like it ought to. I am not entirely sure how it was restricting the flow, but that piece did the trick......I have taken these things apart many many times in my life and never seen this piece before. Mayhaps all the ones from my past were a lot older than this thing is.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®