In preparing a bathroom remodel in California, I have a few questions
on the toilet rough-in that I didn't find answers to in my intro
plumbing books or searching the archives. Any help would be very
appreciated. I will of course check with my inspector for the final
say, but I would like to be a little more knowledgeable before I
1) I'm going to be using ABS for the DWV. What are the pros and cons
of a solid ABS toilet flange versus one with a metal flange?
2) Should the top of the toilet flange be flush with the finish floor,
or 1/4" higher? I've heard both.
3) Does the use of a sanitary cross to connect two toilets to a soil
stack force the soil stack to be 4" in diameter? If so, should I
just make the toilet drains 4"?
4) Every diagram I have seen shows a closet bend right beneath the
toilet flange. Can it be lower? I'd like to drop below some 2x10
floor joists, as I have plenty of altitude and room in the crawl
5) For that matter, is using a closet bend a requirement, or is it
just a convenience? I can imagine using a 45 degree bend and a Y