OK to plumb corner toilet to side wall?

I'm planning to remodel a bathroom and move the toilet. The new location will be in a corner, so the center of the toilet flange will be 12" from the rear wall and 15" from the side wall. Is it OK to run the closet bend straight to a soil stack in the side wall? It seems like it should be fine, but I've never seen this arrangement in my limited experience.

Thanks, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

Hmmmmm. You need to find out what the existing stack is used for. If there are fixtures discharging above or below into the stack, you will be creating problems. If there are vent connections below, there will be even bigger problems. The location of such vent connections may not be obvious.

Do some very thorough investigation first.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I should have mentioned that I'm redoing all the plumbing, so this will be a new stack I'm creating. The question I have is whether it is OK to drain the toilet to the side, or if it has to drain to the back. The limited number of diagrams I've seen all show the drain going to the back.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

Wayne

Assuming you can fit a ' 4 x 3 wye and 1/8 bend' in between the side wall and the toilet flange with 1/4 bend pointing towards the ' 4 x 3 wye and 1/8 bend' you should be okay.

Continue the 4" stack above the roof line to form a vent stack.

You havent mentioned the sink or the tub in your new bath room but remember if more than 5' from the vent stack you have created above each fixture must be revented with inverted Santees.

And if worried about the flow of solids between the water closet and your new stack ...just put arrows inside the pipes and sing "Get Along Little Dogies" when flushing:)

Vic Plank Lancaster PA

Happy New Year!

Reply to
POPPYPLANK

Yes, you can run the bend to the side. Place a San TEE in the stack for the connection to properly vent the closet. If the other bath fixtures will dischg into the new stack, better contact the local bldg dep't. Many places will no longer permit sink/tub/etc. to connect *above* the closet connection but must go below and be separately vented no matter the distance.

What's OK in one part of this country is not in another. We don't have a Universal plumbing code, such as exists for elec work.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim