Toilet leaking

I recently tiled our bathroom. The toilet has now been back in place for a couple of weeks and roughly a linear inch of grout coming from under the toilet remains dark colored. It's very, very slightly damp. Is this clearly a case of the toilet not having being put back in properly. I used a wax ring bought at Lowes but the plastic shaft (the bit that should fit into the flange), was at least an inch shorter than the one I had taken off. Nevertheless, I still thought it went in far enough. My amateur guess is, that on each flush, water could be splashing into the pipe and a tiny amount of it splashes back up between the flange shaft and the wax ring shaft.

Does this appear likely? If so, where can I get a wax seal with a longer plastic shaft - or do I just have to glue a piece of PVC pipe to it?

Thanks.

Reply to
D'Olier

D'Oiler, The easiest way to fix your problem without raising the toilet flange to the proper height is to use 2 wax rings. One with a plastic horn it goes down first, then one without a horn, it goes on top of the first one. You might also need to get the long toilet bolts to fasten the bowl down. When you set the stool, be sure to rock it down all the way before fighting the bolts up. Hope this helps, I have set many stools this way and it works for me.

Reply to
dav

The toilet flange itself is level with the tiles so should that be okay? Also, if the problem is caused by what I'm thinking, shouldn't the grout become dry if the flusher isn't used in 24 hours? The grout seems to remain at the same dampness level. What are the long toilet bolts? The bolts that came with the last wax ring had to be hacksawed down afterwards so I could get the little plastic covers over them.

Thanks for your response.

Reply to
D'Olier

at lowes they sell a wax ring that has 40% more wax than normal, might give that one a try. i just used it when i put laminate floor in a bathroom and i havent had a leak yet when i installed my toilet

Dave

Reply to
David M Wilkinson (Contractor