Toilet: best (not cheapest) connection, angle stop to flush valve

Replaced a wornout toilet tank to bowl gasket the other day, and had trouble getting the connection to the flush valve not to leak.

The connection tubing is metal, very stiff, and no extra length. If it doesn't meet the flush valve exactly square it will leak. Removing and replacing the tank with a different gasket makes that tricky.

But that got me to thinking. It's ALWAYS a pain getting the flush valve connection tight, whether the tubing is plastic or metal, and the parts with the valve kits often don't match what was there.

Is there a better way? I'd rather do it right with a more expensive part, and not have to worry about an eventual leak at that connection.

Reply to
TimR

Get a braided nylon flex connection, and take out the metal tubing.

.

The connection tubing is metal, very stiff, and no extra length. If it doesn't meet the flush valve exactly square it will leak. Removing and replacing the tank with a different gasket makes that tricky.

But that got me to thinking. It's ALWAYS a pain getting the flush valve connection tight, whether the tubing is plastic or metal, and the parts with the valve kits often don't match what was there.

Is there a better way? I'd rather do it right with a more expensive part, and not have to worry about an eventual leak at that connection.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Last time I worked on a toilet, the Ace hardware had assortment of flex lines for sink or toilet connections.

.

That's what I've been using on sinks, but didn't know you could get one to fit the flush valve without adapters.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

By the way, that's really the FILL to which you are connecting. The flush valve (typically a flapper) is the one which opens to let the water go from the tank to the bowl.

Reply to
SI67

Replace the stiff, short "connection tubing" with another that is flexible and a little longer.

Reply to
pilgrim