TIVO Series-2 remote-control. Top round button won't go "up". Fix?

My series-2 TIVO controller's top round large 4-direction button has gotten flakey. Goes left, right, and down just fine. But making it go "up" (of course by pushing down on the top part of it) has become difficult, in fact almost more difficult by the day.

Plus, as in a computer keyboard going bad, it sometimes "bounces", that is you'll sometimes get two clicks for one push.

Now, in old keyboards (eg heath ca 1970's) when a key started "bouncing", you could extract that single key, clean the little contacts beneath it, put the key back in, and all was fine.

Anything like that I can do with this round (circular) button?

I've already tried squirting compressed air (from one of those pressurized cans with wd-40-type soda-straw nozzle that are made for computers) into it from all 4 sides, to no effect.

However, maybe the pressure is too low.

So (advise me on this, please) I was considering going by my friend the car repairer and using *his* compressed air and blasting in around the edges. Good or bad idea.

Now, the controller is usable. If I want to change 5pm to 6pm, I simply go DOWN 11 hours. I can get it to go up, but I have to push pretty hard (too hard?), but I can do it.

-----

How about buying a new one? Google shows Amazon having controllers going anywhere from $12 to just under $60, reviews being good and bad for each one.

TIVO itself has a "replacement" one for maybe $25. Somehow I get the feeling that this "replacement" isn't identical to the original one that came with the machine. Who knows, maybe it's crap too?

Anyway, any suggestions?

(Sure would be nice if I could fix the current, original one, since except for this one problem, it's just about perfect.)

Thanks,

David

Reply to
David Combs

Solution is buy a replacement remote on Ebay

Reply to
trader4

Thanks!

David

Reply to
David Combs

:

Carefully take it apart and clean it with rubbing alcohol and q tips. Oil from you fingers can get inside the remote and make it act crazy. I had a Mitsubishi TV remote that was acting up and when I took it apart there was a layer of what looked like Vaseline between the rubber keypad and the circuit board. Cleaned it with alcohol and q tips and then it worked fine.

Reply to
Ron

In article , Ron wrote: ... ...

Hmmm. Think I'll wait until it's almost unusable before I try that.

Mainly because I currently see no any easy way to take it apart.

For now I can live with it, even though it can be a pain. When it gets worse I look into both ebay and also taking it apart.

(I did take apart (one screw!) 1-9 pushbutton thing for the garage door opener and cleaned it up as suggested -- worked far better. About time for me to do it again.)

Thanks!

David

Reply to
David Combs