tips for using a glass cutter?

I have been trying to cut some custom sized picture frames from some spare glass I have. However, trying repeatedly, I can't seem to get the same results I see in video demos or web instructions that I should. Seems that I either break the glass while I'm trying to cut it or it's never breaking the way it should once the mark is made. At first I thought it was that the cutter was too old as it had been in the outdoor toolbox for years, so I picked up a brand new one but the same thing happens. I tried dipping the end in oil (all I had was olive oil) but same thing. I also don't hear the "paper cutting sound" that the videos seem to indicate, so something is not right. Before I try going any further, I'd appreciate any help or suggestions. The cutter I've been using is identical to the one here:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61i1K22TRgL._SL1500_.jpg
Thank you!
On 09/11/2017 09:09 AM, JBI wrote:

It takes real skill.
First you need a good flat workbench.
I use an old hollow core door.
Before you get too far I also advise wearing light cotton gloves and safety glasses.
The cutter can be a cheapie, just as long as the wheel is still good...and a drop of oil does not hurt things.
Next, you really have to press relatively hard. The first few times I tried this I was a bit timid with the pressure but you need to get a pretty decent score.
Finally make sure the line is right at the edge of the door, then give it a very firm and fast push.
I broke a lot of glass at first because I did not use enough force.
One more thing:
Make sure there is sufficient glass.
I think you need at least 4" beyond the edge of the table to get a decent grip.

Philo gave you some good tips. I would add that in addition to a solid surface to work on, I use a piece of scrap, low nap carpet, under the glass. Having a slight amount of give is very helpful. A piece of cardboard works well too.
There are a bunch of good videos on YouTube which can give you some insight that is not well conveyed in writing. See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
drgrOH50Y
--

The problem is Donald Trump. The solution is impeachment or, the otherwise legal
removal, from office, of the greatest threat to peace the world has ever known.
On 11-Sep-17 9:09 AM, JBI wrote: ...

What's the source of the glass and how thick is it?
Ordinary window pane glass is quite easy to score and break cleanly; sounds like this might be tempered or thicker.

I have a friend that has made his living over the past 41 years repairing and reproducing stained glass windows. He always lubricates the blade before scoring. He dips the blade into a jar with a rag soaked in kerosene. He says any oil will do. And that they sell glass cutter lubricant, though I did not find any on doing an Amazon search.