tips for using a glass cutter?

I have been trying to cut some custom sized picture frames from some spare glass I have. However, trying repeatedly, I can't seem to get the same results I see in video demos or web instructions that I should. Seems that I either break the glass while I'm trying to cut it or it's never breaking the way it should once the mark is made. At first I thought it was that the cutter was too old as it had been in the outdoor toolbox for years, so I picked up a brand new one but the same thing happens. I tried dipping the end in oil (all I had was olive oil) but same thing. I also don't hear the "paper cutting sound" that the videos seem to indicate, so something is not right. Before I try going any further, I'd appreciate any help or suggestions. The cutter I've been using is identical to the one here:

._SL1500_.jpg

Thank you!

Reply to
JBI

It takes real skill.

First you need a good flat workbench.

I use an old hollow core door.

Before you get too far I also advise wearing light cotton gloves and safety glasses.

The cutter can be a cheapie, just as long as the wheel is still good...and a drop of oil does not hurt things.

Next, you really have to press relatively hard. The first few times I tried this I was a bit timid with the pressure but you need to get a pretty decent score.

Finally make sure the line is right at the edge of the door, then give it a very firm and fast push.

I broke a lot of glass at first because I did not use enough force.

One more thing:

Make sure there is sufficient glass.

I think you need at least 4" beyond the edge of the table to get a decent grip.

Reply to
philo

On 11-Sep-17 9:09 AM, JBI wrote: ...

What's the source of the glass and how thick is it?

Ordinary window pane glass is quite easy to score and break cleanly; sounds like this might be tempered or thicker.

Reply to
dpb

Philo gave you some good tips. I would add that in addition to a solid surface to work on, I use a piece of scrap, low nap carpet, under the glass. Having a slight amount of give is very helpful. A piece of cardboard works well too.

There are a bunch of good videos on YouTube which can give you some insight that is not well conveyed in writing. See:

Stormin' Norman

I have a friend that has made his living over the past 41 years repairing and reproducing stained glass windows. He always lubricates the blade before scoring. He dips the blade into a jar with a rag soaked in kerosene. He says any oil will do. And that they sell glass cutter lubricant, though I did not find any on doing an Amazon search.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss