Tiny Red LED inside my keyboard

There's a tiny red LED inside my keyboard. I can see it in the crack next to the INSERT key. Why is tht there? I never noticed it till today and have used this keyboard for years.

Reply to
Gerry Atrick

It's a component of the bug that the Department of Homeland Security installed when you were sleeping.

Reply to
Karl S

You shouldn't have told, now they will be looking for you.

Reply to
RayV

Don't worry Homeland Security will take years to get back on that, they have more important things to check on like toothpaste.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

It could just be a power LED on the board. I've seen them in computers, so having one in a keyboard isn't too unlikely. It can be helpful during troubleshooting.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

dont laugh a spy agency once imbedded software in on line printers so they could see what the USSR was up to.

Reply to
hallerb

You're not safe from HS! Unless you are actually planning on an attack. Besides that, they have some weird shoe fetish.

Reply to
xxx

There is software in copiers so the Secret Service knows what you are up to. (not making money). Your CD burner burns it's serial number on every CD you write. Your IP number gets tagged to evert pacfket you send on the internet. There ARE perople watching you

Reply to
gfretwell

The sad part is your and my tax money is going for all this stuff and it has such a volume that any real information gathered is lost in all the volume and all that money is wasted.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Be glad that you don't get all the government you pay for.

Reply to
Goedjn

Here's a Reddit link I followed today:

I didn't read the whole thing, but it appears that this particular color laser printer (and maybe other printers as well) prints an almost invisible pattern of light yellow dots on every page that encodes the date, time, printer model, and printer serial number.

Big Brother indeed!

Jerry

Reply to
jerry_maple

Kind of makes you wonder what happens if you run the paper through about 5 different machines, doesn't it?

Reply to
Goedjn

It takes them 5 times longer to find you...:)

Reply to
Jimmy

Considering IPs, in the reality at SC.123988653 when you request a web page, your IP is not sent. Since the web server doesn't know where to send the page, it's sent to a post office in Kansas. You have to go there to see the page you requested, and to pay a fee for using their equipment.

Reply to
Harry

You're completely safe if you're a highly-paid terrorist-for-hire. It's only the innocent who have something to worry about.

OK, a few dumb criminals too. Just not the well-organized ones.

Reply to
Sam D

Or makes it five times easier to figure out who you based on who had access to five machines instead of just one.

I guess the lesson is, if you are writing something you want to hide, use a printer cobbled up from an assortment of junk parts that can't be traced back to you (dumpster treasures collected over time) then immediately destroy it scattering the parts to the wind.

Reply to
gfretwell

I'm in contact with you now, and the light should be flashing 3 longs and 2 shorts, repeatedly. Let me know if that is what it is doing. If so, everything is ok.

Let me know what you would like the light to do and I'll set it up.

Reply to
mm

Or just buy your printer cash. :)

Reply to
jimmy

Try to find a store without video cameras. It won't be easy, particulary an electronics store.

Reply to
gfretwell

There are those who would like to see cash become illegal.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd