Time for a new mower...

On 7/9/17 8:05 PM, John Albert wrote:

In addition to the Best Buys, Consumer Reports has their recommended mowers. The top five are Hondas: HRX2175VYA, HRX2175VKA, HRX2175VLA, HRR216VYA, HRR216VLA. Numbers 6 and 7 on their list are Toros: Super Recycler 20381, Super Recycler 20382 The next 6 are Hondas or Toros. One has to get all the way to #14 before finding something that isn't either Honda or Toro.
On 7/9/2017 9:05 PM, John Albert wrote:

I've got a Honda, self propelled, 8 yrs. use now. Very happy with it. Only had serviced once mainly to lube an area I had no idea how to get to. I agree with others to avoid the big box stores although a dealer may charge more he should have it all set up and ready to go.
On 7/10/17 7:42 AM, Frank wrote:

All set up and ready to go? Come on now, how hard is it to extend the folded mower handle and tighten the bolts!! Besides, if you haven't got a pick-up truck, how are you going to get an assembled mower home ;-)
--
I was almost run off the road this afternoon by some guy making an
undocumented U-turn.
On 07/10/2017 09:37 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:

There are some very complex things that have to be done. For example, connecting the safety bar and linkage once you have extended the handle and putting the provided oil in the crankcase. Then there are the hard decisions like do you want to remove the rear plug and install the bag, remove the side plug, or leave both mulching plugs in place. Then you have to find the gas filler and fuel it up. The hardest part was chewing my way into the box.
On 7/10/17 12:06 PM, rbowman wrote:

Yeah, well you got me!
--
There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
- Will Rogers
On 7/10/2017 11:37 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:

That's not a problem but mower came with oil and gas and was started and checked by shop that sold it. I almost bought it at HD but no clerk was around to discuss with. I actually traded in 2 old Lawnboys that would not start where I bought the Honda. No problem with my Subaru Forester to carry.
On 7/10/17 12:58 PM, Frank wrote:

Hey, some people blunder through life needing to be spoon-fed. As that great philosopher Clint Eastwood said, "A man's got to know his limitations" ;-)
--
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time or money
making it.

so if you want the mower to last a really long time, do you clean the stuck on grass clippings off the bottom of the mower deck after each use?
I found the deck rots out from all that damp caked on rotting grass.
Now i use a wood stick to scrape some of that crud off after each use.
On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 14:10:54 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

With the new stainless steel deck it's just the tubes I need to worry about. I flush it every couple times.