Time for a new mower...

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca says...

Yes, I did. At the time I di dnot know any better. I grew up in a small city and we only had a small yard to mow with a push mower. Then got married and moved to about a half acre lot. Old Murry served well for that small area. Moved to where I had to mow close to 2 acres. Thought John Deere was a big name with quality equipment. Did not know they put out low end junk to compete with other low end equipmnet.
When the transaxel went out, found out a company makes several different quality ones for many brands. Deere used the lowest quality one in the mower I bought. I will never buy another thing from them due to that simple thing.
On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 13:29:20 -0400, Ralph Mowery

You bought cheep - they still make GREAT stuff. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face. What are you going to buy that is as good as , say, a JD X758, or even an X750. Cannot compare them to a D110 or a D105 at 1/10 the price - - - -.
You want "green quality" be ready to put out a LOT more "green" than $1400!!!! Up here in Canada a X750 is a little over 14 GRAND!!!. If you only need it for mowing, a Z500n series mower would be a good bet - about a thousand more than a Z300 series - and likely worth every extra cent.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca says...

I think my yard is just the wrong size. Too large for the inexpensive mowers and too small to justify the price for the large mowers. For a small yard I could buy a Murry every 5 years and come out way a head in the price game.
At around the 14 Grand mark it would be less expensive for me to just pay someone to mow the yard at my age.. I could leave that much in the IRA and with a good return on the stock market break even and not have to do the work.

Take your time and shop for a good used work-horse ? I'm happy with my rider - Toro WheelHorse early 1990's; 20 HP Onan ; 48 inch deck ; bought it with ~ 700 hours for almost 2 grand ! My Gawd ! the unused snow thrower still sits in my shed. I mow 1/2 acre mostly flat - I expect this old rider will outlast me, with minor routine annual mtc. I've spent maybe $ 250. over 14 years - oil & air filters , + 1 belt - that's it ! plus tires - $ 200. ! they aged out - sidewalls - that one hurt .. the low speed, no load rated rear tires - cost almost as much as my car tires ! ... bummer ! + a recent fuse block re-wire - not expensive but a PITA. There are about 8 or 10 grease nipples on this rider - - blade spindles especially should be greased - perhaps the brake pedal sleeve is less critical .. :-) I have seen good old Bolens garden tractors for sale - - decent machines in the day - but they usually look very-well-used ... be careful with old worn-out machines. .. with snow blowers and tillers all well used .. John T
On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 18:59:08 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

I bought my old Yazoo Highwheeler about 30 years ago for $15 . I've replaced the engine with a Chi-Honda clone, and replaced the skin of the deck with stainless, as well as replacing the 20 inch bike tires on the rear. I;ve replaced the spindle bearings twice - I think I have a total of $200 actual cash invested - - -

Yazoo ? .. sorry if I seem daft .. what izzit ? John T.
On 7/10/2017 9:31 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Mower with large rear wheels. Good on rough terrain. https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t 3704
On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 21:31:51 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

It has a tube frame like a bicycle or an old airplane,with a sheet metal deck and 20 inch bike tires. 24 inch cut - basically an OLD commercial mower - like this one: http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/f51/26-cut-yazoo-big-wheel-mower-honda-engine-97744/ but mine is a 24, with a 6.5HP and a stainless replacement deck.
On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 21:59:53 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That's a new species to me. I had a neighbour with a high - wheel but it didn't look like that. John T.
On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 22:47:23 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

The one I showed had some "bar stock"in the frame - mine is ALL tube.
On 07/09/2017 10:13 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

If I go to the Toro website it sends me to Ace Hardware or Home Depot. Honda sends me to Murdoch's, a ranch store. TroyBilt sends me to Lowes. Maybe it's different in your part of the world but nobody is hanging their shingle out as a Honda equipment dealer etc. Pick your big box store.
says...

I live in a small town of around 30,000 people. There are 3 Honda servicing dealers, and one Troy Bilt servicing dealer with in the county. Did not check the others.
On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 13:02:19 -0400, Ralph Mowery

Since MTD took over Troy_bilt they are not what they used to be. Buy a mid level Honda.
On 07/10/2017 01:23 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You sound like Consumer Reports. If the car they are reviewing is cheaper than a Civic you should buy a used Civic. If it's in the same price range as the Civic, the Civic is a better deal. If you're looking at high ends cars, you could buy two Civic for that price.
Considering my TroyBilt has a Honda engine, there isn't a hell of a lot more to a push rotary lawnmower. The mulching blade and wheels go around in circles as expected and the deck seems to be a deck.
I don't have anything against Honda if that's what fluffs your fur. If someone leaves a CB750 in the driveway I'll park it next to the Suzukis and the Harley.
On 07/10/2017 11:02 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

There are servicing delalers. Lowes services TroyBilts, Ace or Home Depot services Toros, and Murdoch's does Hondas. Ace and Murdochs aren't exactly big box stores but I wouldn't call them 'your local equipment dealer'.
On 7/10/17 12:13 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I believe you're right.
I went out looking at Honda mowers today. Local Power Equipment dealer sells the Honda I'm interested in for $30 more than Home Depot.
But I'll reckon that buying from the dealer gets me: a. Mower assembled and tested (HD mower comes in a box, too heavy for me anymore) b. Service during the warranty period. c. Maybe they'll even deliver it.
So when I buy, it will be from the local dealer. I believe I bought the old mower from them, too, but that was a quarter-century ago!
Oddly enough, I tried starting the old mower (which stopped with a BANG the day before), and it started and ran. Makes me wonder if somethin's loose inside (a friend mentioned something called "the Woodruff key"?).
Was going to try it again this evening, but it rained. Maybe tomorrow.
Doesn't matter, I've decided that I want one of the new ones, anyway!

On the dirve shaft there is a notch and the fly wheel another notch. There is a piece of metal that is about square and an inch or so long that goes between the pieces in the notches. This keeps them from slipping. Many round shafts that have larger round gears or other things on them will have this key in the slots so they will not slip.
If the flywheel slips, the spark may not get to the engine at the correct time.

also known as a shear key
designed to shear when there is an impact to prevent further damage.
On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 23:56:53 -0400, Ralph Mowery

But in over 50 years I have NEVER seen one where it stops the engine with a "bang" and then it starts and runs again days later.
I HAVE overheated a rotary lawn mower engine to the poiont it seized - and could not even be turned over - and after beeing left to cool down, it restarted like nothing had happened (but it started to smoke a bit, and didn't last long before it let go completely)
John,
I created a thread least month with subject: "Consumer grade self-propelled lawn mowers, and review : )", using From field: "Bill".
It may save you a bit of "rediscovery". Good luck!
BTW, the Honda is only one I recall, among the mowers I looked at, that specifically said it did "leaves". I would like to buy a Honda (HRR...) after they get that possible carburetor problem worked out.
Bill