Time for a new mower...

The self propelled feature adds very little weight to my ancient Yazoo BigWheel.

Reply to
clare

I live in a small town of around 30,000 people. There are 3 Honda servicing dealers, and one Troy Bilt servicing dealer with in the county. Did not check the others.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

You bought thecheep riding lawn mower instead of rhe better lawn tractor, or the better yet garden tractor, or best, their "compact tractor" JD cheapened their brand by putting their name on cheap crap to meet a pricepoint for the "mass merchandizers" It's biting them in the butt in a BIG way right now. Has almost killed Ariens too. Cub Cadet not far behind, alonf with Bolens.

Reply to
clare

Because it's not bells and whistles we are talking about. We are talking about QUALITY. Some of the more expensive, better quality stuff actually has FEWER bells and whistles. There is blinged out crap, and there is good quality base, and there is commercial grade, in order of quality.

Go in to the dealers and look at what they are working on.Shit happens.

and it won't be properly assembled either.

Reply to
clare

Yes, I did. At the time I di dnot know any better. I grew up in a small city and we only had a small yard to mow with a push mower. Then got married and moved to about a half acre lot. Old Murry served well for that small area. Moved to where I had to mow close to 2 acres. Thought John Deere was a big name with quality equipment. Did not know they put out low end junk to compete with other low end equipmnet.

When the transaxel went out, found out a company makes several different quality ones for many brands. Deere used the lowest quality one in the mower I bought. I will never buy another thing from them due to that simple thing.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

You can make a pretty safe bet a NEW murry won't last that long - - -

Reply to
clare

Since MTD took over Troy_bilt they are not what they used to be. Buy a mid level Honda.

Reply to
clare

You bought cheep - they still make GREAT stuff. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face. What are you going to buy that is as good as , say, a JD X758, or even an X750. Cannot compare them to a D110 or a D105 at 1/10 the price - - - -.

You want "green quality" be ready to put out a LOT more "green" than $1400!!!! Up here in Canada a X750 is a little over 14 GRAND!!!. If you only need it for mowing, a Z500n series mower would be a good bet - about a thousand more than a Z300 series - and likely worth every extra cent.

Reply to
clare

You sound like Consumer Reports. If the car they are reviewing is cheaper than a Civic you should buy a used Civic. If it's in the same price range as the Civic, the Civic is a better deal. If you're looking at high ends cars, you could buy two Civic for that price.

Considering my TroyBilt has a Honda engine, there isn't a hell of a lot more to a push rotary lawnmower. The mulching blade and wheels go around in circles as expected and the deck seems to be a deck.

I don't have anything against Honda if that's what fluffs your fur. If someone leaves a CB750 in the driveway I'll park it next to the Suzukis and the Harley.

Reply to
rbowman

There are servicing delalers. Lowes services TroyBilts, Ace or Home Depot services Toros, and Murdoch's does Hondas. Ace and Murdochs aren't exactly big box stores but I wouldn't call them 'your local equipment dealer'.

Reply to
rbowman

I think my yard is just the wrong size. Too large for the inexpensive mowers and too small to justify the price for the large mowers. For a small yard I could buy a Murry every 5 years and come out way a head in the price game.

At around the 14 Grand mark it would be less expensive for me to just pay someone to mow the yard at my age.. I could leave that much in the IRA and with a good return on the stock market break even and not have to do the work.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Hey, some people blunder through life needing to be spoon-fed. As that great philosopher Clint Eastwood said, "A man's got to know his limitations" ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Well of course commercial grade is better than consumer grade crap. What's your point?

Of course it does. But usually not during the one-year warranty period

Dude, if you need someone to assemble a string trimmer or leaf blower for you, you'd better hire a gardener lest you injure yourself ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Yeah, well you got me!

Reply to
Wade Garrett

so if you want the mower to last a really long time, do you clean the stuck on grass clippings off the bottom of the mower deck after each use?

I found the deck rots out from all that damp caked on rotting grass.

Now i use a wood stick to scrape some of that crud off after each use.

makolber

My point is if you buy junk, you can't expect commercial quality - and they DO make something in between.

Either it fails in warranty or it lasts for AGES, in my experience. "Infant Mortality" is the biggest failure rate.

What about a rider? I can assemble it and do it right. Guys who don't know one end of a screwdriver from the other? Not a chance.

Reply to
clare

With the new stainless steel deck it's just the tubes I need to worry about. I flush it every couple times.

Reply to
clare

Take your time and shop for a good used work-horse ? I'm happy with my rider - Toro WheelHorse early 1990's; 20 HP Onan ; 48 inch deck ; bought it with ~ 700 hours for almost 2 grand ! My Gawd ! the unused snow thrower still sits in my shed. I mow 1/2 acre mostly flat - I expect this old rider will outlast me, with minor routine annual mtc. I've spent maybe $ 250. over 14 years - oil & air filters ,

  • 1 belt - that's it ! plus tires - $ 200. ! they aged out - sidewalls - that one hurt .. the low speed, no load rated rear tires - cost almost as much as my car tires ! ... bummer ! + a recent fuse block re-wire - not expensive but a PITA. There are about 8 or 10 grease nipples on this rider -

- blade spindles especially should be greased - perhaps the brake pedal sleeve is less critical .. :-) I have seen good old Bolens garden tractors for sale - - decent machines in the day - but they usually look very-well-used ... be careful with old worn-out machines. .. with snow blowers and tillers all well used .. John T

Reply to
hubops

Years ago crappy chain saw oil pump failed and I took it to shop manufacturer recommended miles from here. Should have taken it back to HD and saved two thirty mile round trips.

Reply to
Frank

I bought my old Yazoo Highwheeler about 30 years ago for $15 . I've replaced the engine with a Chi-Honda clone, and replaced the skin of the deck with stainless, as well as replacing the 20 inch bike tires on the rear. I;ve replaced the spindle bearings twice - I think I have a total of $200 actual cash invested - - -

Reply to
clare