tiles above tub look wet

A few years ago this happened on another spot (I thought soap scum retained water) and eventually the wall crumbled and had to be rebuilt. Is it a sign the wall behind the tiles are wet? Is it enough toseal the cracks around the tiles?

The way I "rebuilt" the crumbled wall just this November was I got a sheet of PVC about ten by twenty inches, put flashing compund behind it and sealed around with silicon. I can't afford any big projects. I'm freaking out.

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

The tiles look wet or the grout between the tiles looks wet?

If it's the grout, then it has failed and is retaining water as well as letting water through to the wall behind it. That wall will eventually fail. BTDT

You can fake another repair with a sheet of PVC or you can do it "right".

"Right" can be anything from an insert that goes right over your old wall to a gut and retile/surround.

Here's how an insert works...no tear out.

DerbyDad03

Prompted me to look up cost. Its in the neighborhood of seven grand.

My original tiled shower was built using regular drywall not the the cement board that replaced it. Been 40 years and still going strong.

Reply to
Frank