Thompsons water seal,

I have come to the conclusion that Thompsons water seal isn't as good as they say it is. I built a new cedar deck and covered it in Thompsons water seal...the next year it was totally faded...I then bought the "new and improved" Thompsons stuff last year with the "Added UV protection" and paid more. This spring it is just as faded and I see that water does not bead on the wood...it soaks in...so I have to apply the stuff again. Can anybody reccomend a brand of deck sealer with UV protection that will LAST and have my cedar hold its lustre? Thank-you. Jim

Reply to
Jim

Olympic was rated the best in Consumer reports ,lasting 3 yrs and Thompsons less than a year . You should read the 8-02 article in consumer reports there is alot of good info on all stains. You can subscribe online for a small fee.

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
The Stephen's

I use whatever is cheapest; mostly Thompsons or KMart brand. They keep my dock beading up for 2 years, when I reseal regardless.

So, while people say awful things about it, I am satisfied.

Reply to
Toller

I use CWF on my PT trellis and redwood furniture, every three years. CWF comes in clear and tints. It has UV protection, darkens the wood somewhat, and takes 2 to 4 days to dry. Thompson's is no good, yet people still buy it--I guess it's the commercials that con them.

Reply to
Phisherman

From what I have been able to learn, the problem with Thompsons water seal is that their product is parafin wax based. And everyone knows that wax just doesn't hold up to sun and heat for very long. Look at a car wax job - maybe a month if you're lucky.

Bob S.