They did it again!

If "they" don't there will still be $.01 "tokens" in circulation for a LONG time.

It all depends upon whether the US government has learned anything from the failed attempts to get rid of the $1 bill.

So?

Owner:Chinook-L

Owner:Sibernet-L

Reply to
John Gilmer

We're talking about checks and EFTs here. Who needs one-cent coins for that?

I repeat: unsupported assertion on your part, based on nothing more than assumptions.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Q: What does that have to do with whether checks and EFTs will be permitted in penny increments?

A: nothing.

Reply to
Doug Miller

And the very idea is to eliminate the dollar bill.

Give Junior awhile- he'll bring back Prez Wilson's law about dissing the govt being a felony.

aem sends....

Reply to
<aemeijers

Right you are!

If we got rid of the penny, and the paper one dollar bill, things would get much more convenient.

...of course, for some people there would be a learning curve.......

Alan Moorman

Reply to
Alan Moorman

On the general subject of money, coins, and the like, I found the following at:

Author:MAJOR Michael Irwin ============================ It?s the little things that get our attention ?- in this case, five cents.

At overseas locations, the base economy is penny-less. AAFES (Army and Air Force Exchange Service) does not use pennies; all prices our rounded to the nearest nickel. The cost of shipping pennies is more than the value of the pennies themselves.

Here in Iraq they take it further; no coins at all. But they don?t round to the nearest dollar. Instead, they issue "pogs". These mini-gift-certificates are used in place of coins. On one side is the AAFES logo and some suitably patriotic image, and on the other a 5¢ 10¢ or 25¢ notation. AAFES makes it clear that "pogs" are cash value as depicted, and can be redeemed at any AAFES world wide for the full value. And really, I don?t want carry a bunch of loose change in a combat environment. This program makes sense.

So I have not seen a real coin in several months.

While shopping at the local BX to get something or other I handed the cashier some dollar bills, and put my hand out, expecting a few pogs. An odd weight settled in my hand. I looked down and Lo, there in my hand was a nickel! My two colleagues and I stopped talking and all gazed in wonder at the coin. It was as if there was an angelic chorus in the background, and the image of Jefferson seemed to glow. It was a real nickel. A tangible piece of home! A no-kidding bit of America!! It was a remarkable moment...

To us, but not to the cashier. She looked at the slack-jawed idiot aircrew standing in front of her, staring, then looked at the coin in my hand for a moment, then looked at the three dummies again.

?Hey, it?s a nickel. Get over it! NEXT!?

Reply to
Elmo

"Harry K" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

I never carried/used the Anthony dollar coins, but I did make a few bucks now and then because I received them as quarters when I bought something and received change. I was sorry to see then go.

Reply to
Jungle Jim

Yep!

It&#39;s just a case of "working the numbers." Folks using "plastic" spend more because they don&#39;t have to worry about how much cash they have in pocket or even the bank.

From the view of a small businessman, the advantage of "cash" is that you can take it "under the table" and not pay taxes on it.

"Off the books" income is worth 20% (more or less) than "on the books" income. That&#39;s a much larger margin than the 2% (plus, sometimes, $.50) the credit card company might charge.

Reply to
John Gilmer