Thermostat Question

Just bought a home with a bonus room upstairs - split unit AC. Thermostat on the first floor was a 2 stage totaline P474-0100 and upstairs was a single stage manual robertshaw CM200.

I bought two Honeywell 5-2 Day Programmable Thermostat's to replace both. Replacing the bonus room went well. When I replaced the totaline the unit would not engage (nor the fan). All contacts were solid

The bonus room was a four wire (no Rc, just Rh). The first floor had a five wire and the totaline marked it "C" - matching it up to Rc on the honeywell (I also removed the Rh/Rc jumper). Everything appeared to be wired up correctly.

First - the Honeywell YRTH230B1009 stated - "For single stage heating and cooling or millivolt systems" - so from what I read I took a step back from the 2 stage totaline moving to the single stage honeywell.

Second - was there a reason why there was a 4wire single stage in the bonus room vs the 5 wire 2 stage on the first floor - would it cause the problems when I installed the second honeywell?

TIA.

Reply to
To0w1r3d

Terminals RH and W are for heating and not used for air only. The four wire system should work fine with that stat, but it sounds like doesn't have two stage capability, so it's the wrong stat for the other unit

Reply to
RBM

Four wire originally wired - RH, W, Y & G and I matched it on the honeywell (RH/RC had a jumper) Five wire - RH, W, Y, G & C - matched it on the honeywill except I moved C to RC on the honeywell (removing the RH/RC jumper)

So the totaline is the wrong one for my system? It's a single unit - how can I tell?

TIA.

Reply to
To0w1r3d

Hi, Honeywell 'stat model no.? You may have picekd up wrong one for 2 state. Any how, I like 7 day programmer which gives more flexiility.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Read the spec sheet of the 'stat you picked up. IMO, Honeywell VisionPro

8000 will be good choice for you. I have two which I like. One at home, one at my daughter's condo.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

If all the listed terminals had wires on them, it would appear that this unit does heat as well, correct? It has one transformer that powers both heat and cool, hence the rh-rc jumpers. I'm not seeing two stages though. The five wire, you need the rh-rc jumper reinstalled, but may not need the "c" for the new stat

Reply to
RBM

makes sense - thanks for the reponse!!!..

Reply to
To0w1r3d