Thermostat Hookup

ok, few electical questions.

First I'll briefly explain what I'm trying to do. Hooking up a thermostat for infloor heating in kitchen, existing house, not new. So we are installing a new Range to replace the stovetop that was there from previous owner, we ran a new wire for the new range. We are now using the existing wire (from stovetop) for the hookup of the infloor heating witch is a 240v line which is required for the infloor heating. Now the problem.

This a 3wire (red,black,white & ground). Now the thermostat requires 2 wires to hook up. my question, which wires do I hook up? I turned on the breaker to see what voltage each wire has:

White 0 volts Black 118 volts Red 119 volts

do I just hook up the black and red wires and forget the white wire?

I know, call an electrician, but I almost got it done, this is my last problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
SteveC

The old cooktop used a neutral (white wire), the floor heat does not. You should run the red and black feed wires (240 volt) to the "line" side of a double pole thermostat, and run two conductors from the "load" side of the thermostat to the heating unit(s). Install proper grounding as per instructions

Reply to
RBM

. Agree: Also adding ................... The thermostat requires two wires or four? Some require both legs of the 230 volt supply to go through the thermostat. Our older style wall mounted 'line voltage' thermostats, controlling baseboard heaters, do so. See note. Others require only one side (leg) of the 230 volt supply to go through the thermostat. (And the other leg is just wired through. Several programmable ones we have seen and helped others to install, are like that). If the thermostat has four wires (typically say, two reds and two blacks) make darn sure the connections are correct; other wise it can blow the thermostat! Heard about that happening the other day; wrongly wired it not only tripped the breaker it just about blew the pi** out of a brand new thermostat. Note: Courtesy of a helpful person on this news group a couple of years ago I was advised that most probably our thermostats were most likely not double pole (As I had thought!) but were probably designed so that one pole reacts to temperature and the other pole provides means, by turning the thermostat setting back anticlockwise as far as possible, to switch of the heater!

Reply to
terry

terry wrote: ...

... Indeed. There should be wiring diagram w/ the heater; if it isn't w/ it, it's undoubtedly available from the manufacturer or distributor. Best would be to check it...

--

Reply to
dpb

Excellent, hooked it up and it works. Thanks for the advice.

Steve

Reply to
SteveC