Thermometers

Not just Japan. Add made in Taiwan and Korea to the list. All started making cheap stuff of dubious quality, but evolved to be world class manufacturers that kicked our asses in many markets. The younger folks today don't remember the days when, as you say, made in Japan, was a reference that meant cheap, inferior stuff. Not any more.

Reply to
trader_4

Swap locations to determine environmental effects. Ice and boiling water to determine a fair accuracy. Repeat multiple times for precision. All that if you really care.

Reply to
catebekensail

I am old enough to remember the Japan junk. It got to be beter quality when they ran out of the American beer cans from WW-2.

China ships their hazardous waste over here in some of their produicts. Look at the drywall problem they caused. Also something about the paint in the childrens toys.

I have some electronics from China and they seem every bit as good as anywhere else. Doesn't Apple have many items made in China ?

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I care about one thing. Is it below freezing? Make yourself an ice bath and check 'em. That will tell you the conversion factors for each. It's hard to screw up an alcohol thermometer, they just work. But it is amazing how easy it is to slide the glass relative to the scale. Get it right and glue it down or something. But then, you have to put the thermometer where it matters. If you're worried about a pipe freezing, there's only one place that matters, at the pipe. Doesn't matter what the conditions. If the calibrated thermometer says it's above freezing at the pipe, it's not gonna freeze. The converse is not true. Err on the side of not freezing.

Reply to
mike

I like that idea. A man with one watch always knows what time it is. The man with two watches is never quite sure.

Reply to
mike

Stormin Mormon wrote in news:gMfpw.1139367$ snipped-for-privacy@fx14.iad:

Right, I finally remembered it yesterday evening. Need some new RAM in my head, evidently. Have to Google for a source, hopefully on sale.

Reply to
KenK

Why do you think US companies off-shore their mfring to countries like Mexico and China!? It's cuz of lower overhead. How do they acheive lower overhead, besides the more obvious lower wages? Off-shored US companies do not have to meet/pay-for the same pollution stds as US based companies. Duh.

nb

Reply to
notbob

The only way to know what is going on is to havr the 3 thermometers in the same place. Where Accu-weather takes it's reading may well be several degrees wormer or cooler than where you are - and switching your two locations may also change the temperatures. A bit more sun on one than the other, or different air currents can eisily make a 2F degree difference.

Reply to
clare

One of my outside themometers is 40 years old, and the other of the same brand and appearance, about 30. Both red alcohol. They don't get old but sometimes they come unglued from the background. To recalibrate, there should be a small file nick in the glass at some well known number. I'll check what it is if you want.

One got knocked off by ivy or something so I've been trying to measure the bath water, to see if it really gets colder in 15 minutes or it only seems like it does. And to find out how hot I can make the bath water before I can't stand it anymore. I got almost to 110 iirc.

Then I moved it to my bedroom. When I come upstairs at night, it lies on the table right next to the bed and says 69^ and it always feels cold. When I wake up in the morning, it's in the same place and says

69^ and I always feel just right. The ground floor of the house is no hotter than 70 so I'm surprised 1 degree can make me feel cold.

Be sure the thermometer is in the shade..

Reply to
micky

I don't see any point in comparing the temp where you live to what a website says, unless your purpose is to make such a comparison.

There is no reason to think there will be a simple formula to get from one to the other, unless maybe you live at the weather station.

I thought your purpose was to figure out the temperature where you live.

Reply to
micky

When my mother died, I found an indoor thermometer with the sketch of baby, or maybe a stuffed bear, on it. She probably bought it when I was born, or when my older brother was, at least 67 years ago. red alcohol. It works fine too.

Reply to
micky

I know people who have a complex home weather station with a full-screen video display. And another full screen display that monitors the online weather feed. And a big-screen TV showing the weather channel. And several remote sites on remote mountain-tops that squawk the weather conditions. And there's never been any time that they could do anything useful with that info.

I have a remote sensor in the crawl space so I can tell if the temperature gets down near freezing so I can go put back the vent covers that fell out. Or whether the humidity goes up indicating a water leak.

I have another one in the attic so I can tell if the humidity goes up indicating a water leak.

And another outside So I can tell if it's freezing so I can take a prophylactic look at the other two.

Beyond that, anything else it TMI.

If the answer won't change your future, don't ask the question.

Reply to
mike

I missed the original posting and most of the follow ups and probably missed the point, best answer, etc. Here's one that works for me...

Get a few thermometers from the dollar store that read the same in the store and one medical thermometer. Put them in a pot of 105-110F degree water and let them stabilize. Adjust the tubes so that they all read the same as the medical thermometer.

Let the pot cool and check them all again ever few minutes until the temp reaches the low end of the medical thermometer.

If you want to check for cold temp readings, put the pot in the frig with all the thermos in it, stir and record each one every 5-10 minutes. If they all agree within 1 degree, I would call that good.

If you need more accurate measurement than that, look under "testing labs" or "temperature" in the yellow pages. Tell them it's for a home experiment and you will bring a pizza and someone will calibrate if for free.

If you need remote monitoring, get some binoculars or zoom in with your video camera.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Most of us cannot tell a 2 degree difference, but right about the 68 to

72 degree range is where most of us are comfortable and can feel a slight difference.

I worked with a woman that drove us nuts with the thermostat, mostly turning it up. On her desk she had a cheap thermometer and if it was not reading 72, she was cold. One day she went to lunch and one of the guys adjusted it up to read 2 degrees higher. Problem solved.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I had a GF who's body temp was a fraction of a degree different from mine. And she had a water bed. I couldn't sleep in it. Good thing sleep was not the objective.

Reply to
mike

Hi. Feeling cold or warm has lot to do with relative humidity in the house.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Terrific Great idea!!

Similar but different. I lived in a 49-unit building whose landlord illegally turned the heat down during the day, even though the building had a bunch of old ladies who didn't go to work and were probably cold. Who bypassed the electric eye that turned off the big (49-apartments) oil furnace if there was too much smoke. Also periods without heat. One man claimed his baby had died because of that.

The furnace had a knob for heat output, not temperature, and it ran A, B, C, D, E, F, G or so. I turned it one letter higher, or maybe a half letter, then loosened the set screw on the knob, turned the knob to point at the original number and tightened the screw. I moved a couple years later, don't know if he ever found it or not.

Reply to
micky

There was a long piece, 5 or 10 minutes, on the radio in the last two days, either C-Span or NPR, giving the "other side of the story" about workers in China, and I think the American author spent either one or two years in China. and one of the workers she talked to said she worked in kwai sier, or something like that.

After a lot more talking, it turned out she worked in QC, quality control.

Reply to
micky

And Peking and probably other Chinese cities are filthy, at least the air. They got a slow start, but they're putting anti-pollution and pro-environment laws in effect at a rate that woudl catch up to the US if they were to keep at it long enough.

I think another story the same day was about the US shipping hazardous waste to China. As waste.

Reply to
micky

I have a fluke dual channel recording temp thermometer. The 2 channels never matched from when it was brand new. Yet it works fine. I use it for work.

But truly what difference do a couple degrees matter? Temp vareies for so many reasons OP has too much time on his hands

Reply to
bob haller