You didn't know? I put up an outdoor mercury
thermometer. Microwave ovens stopped working
for about a six block radius. It just sucked the
microwaves right up. It was fun, watching all the
repair companies coming to my neighborhood in
panel vans. Aren't you embarassed that I'm not
replying to your posts?
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
"Attracts microwaves", now there's a concept! A new physics is
invented every day, on the Usenet.
I may have read that article. Was that back in the
days of black and white TV?
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Wow, interesting story. I did read an article in
Popular Mechanics on "How to Improve TV
Reception With A Rectal Thermometer".
On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 06:15:14 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
OK -maybee the description is not totally accurate, but the result is
the same. Mercury behaves differently from most other metals - it is
diamagnetic (or antimagnetic) - and magnets DO attract microwave
energy, while most metals reflect it.
This is an answer to the question "should you use a mercury
thermometer in a microwave oven?"
On the other hand, putting a mercury thermometer in a microwave oven
isn't a good idea. While mercury is a metal and will reflect most of
the microwaves that strike it, the microwaves will push a great many
electric charges up and down the narrow column of mercury. This
current flow will cause heating of the mercury because the column is
too thin to tolerate the substantial current without becoming warm.
The mercury can easily overheat, turn to gas, and explode the
thermometer. (A reader of this web site reported having blown up a
mercury thermometer just this way as a child.) Moreover, as charges
slosh up and down the mercury column, they will periodically
accumulate at the upper end. Since there is only a thin vapor of
mercury gas above this upper surface, the accumulated charges will
probably ionize this vapor and create a luminous mercury discharge.
The thermometer would then turn into a mercury lamp, emitting
ultraviolet light. I used microwave-powered mercury lamps similar to
this in my thesis research fifteen years ago and they work very
Louis A. Bloomfield
You might try attaching a very strong cord to the end opposite the bulb
and going outdoors, find a large open space and spin it around like you
were spinning one of those noisemakers. A 24" cord should be long enough
and the centrifugal force from spinning should move the mercury back
into the bulb. ^_^
You were tempting the gods of fate if you put a mercury thermometer
into an operational microwave oven., The mercury would heat up almost
instantaneously and shatter the glass into smithereens, contaminationg
the oven probably beyond repair. I have never heard of anyone using a
mercury thermometer to cook, That would be like using a stopwatch to
bake a cake, etc.
To reinstate the column, you need to heat it so it reads maximum/
mercury goes to the top of the tube.
If you examine the tube, at the end opposite the bulb there is
usually another void to prevent the bulb from bursting when this state
Do NOT overheat.
If there is no void, do not let the column expand to the end of the
tube while you are doing this.
And wear eye protection.
The reason the mercury column has broken is that it is unsuitable for
a microwave, the metal has boiled so making the gaps.
Well, there you are. If you don't use the magnetron it will take
forever for your slow-cooker to make toast.
Also, it is obvious that your mercury thermometer needs lubrication.
Can you give it a little shot of WD-40?
BTDT but only twice and it was for a relatively low temp thermometer
so I think I used boiling water?
Simple solution.. BTDT but only twice.
Mercury thermometers typically have tiny expanded volume at the very
upper reaches of the mercury column.
Slowly heat the thermometer until the mercury expands into that space.
Be careful.... as the thermometer heats the little segments will move
towards the top volume.
Wear safety goggles and check the thermometer often.
As long as the column is segmented, the risk breakage is small.
When the column "goes solid", that's when breakage occurs.
If you heat very slowly & check often...you'll be fine.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.