Then and now

The only problem I'm having is grokking the difference between stochastic and chaotic. I suppose there must be a enough difference between random and disorderly for your system to work. I love this kind of stuff. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The Daring Dufas wrote: ...

Indeed, there is a fundamental difference.

The beginning of the following link is on the line of the way I used to try present it to the bleary-eyed utility guys who really only wanted to know enough as to whether they thought it (the R&D project; EPRI is a utility self-funded research organization so we had to have buy-in from the member utilities to continue to have the resources to support the effort) made enough sense to continue or not and like you, wanted at least a grasp of the concept.

I'd not read the Wikipedia entry on chaos; so often they're not of much help so did--it's not terrible reading.

For a non-technical read if you're interested in such things, I'd recommend

_Chaos: Making a New Science_ by James Gleick

It's the best written of several of the popular expositions imo for a general overview of chaotic systems in natural processes.

For more esoteric approach, Benoit Mandelbrot is a stretch but two of his at least summarized rather than actual papers include _The_Fractal_Geometry_of_Nature_ and _Fractals_and_Chaos:_The_Mandelbrot_Set_ and_Beyond_

Of course, there's an almost unlimited literature on turbulent flow but other than how it's touched upon in some of the above as a field I don't know of any popularization of the subject itself. The pneumatic transport of solids is, of course, a subset within it with another whole literature/history...

None of those will explain the processing we're doing; but they are an interesting introduction into a whole (relatively) new way of looking at much of the physical world.

--

Reply to
dpb

Thanks for the links, I may comprehend it yet. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

But the validity of the processing inherently requires that the underlying process be chaotic, not stochastic; it (the method) is simply a way of making approximating functions that are indirectly related to things like the Lyapanov numbers, etc., that can be measured and computed in sufficient quantity and speed to be the basis of an instrument.

It is indeed a fascinating field w/ almost as many bizarre features as string theory and higher dimensions.

Enjoy... :)

--

Reply to
dpb