plumbing diagram for house addition....

hello all, i am building an addition on to our house in NJ. I have applied for all the permits, and have been told that they are all ok, except for the plumbing. They asked that i supply "a proper sanitary and vent riser diagram".

What should each of these diagrams contain. Going into the addition, is a new master bath (toilet, dual sink, seperate shower, and whirlpool tub), a laundry room (washer and a sink), and two outdoor hose bibs.

Should this diagram, include each of the connections to these pieces of hardware? Do i need to show the connection sizes and the types? Does the diagram need to show both floors in one diagram? also how many fixtures can be on one roof vent?

Any insite on this that any of you can cast, is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
todd.klein

Not a great example, but an example -

pipe sizes.

RicodJour

Thanks To every one for your replies. I was planning on buying a book, on plumbing design, to make sure it is right... THanks

Reply to
todd.klein

They will expect a professional drawing of the waste/vent design layout.

There are a great number of design details which need to be considered, far more than can be addressed in a DIY newsgroup.

Get thee to yon library and pull out a few books on plumbing design. There are even some good ones on DIY projects.

Unless you can enlist some aid from a local plumber who knows what NJ expects, this could be a drawn-out experience with the town.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I'm sure what they want is pipe sizes and location. There want . waste pipe, vent, water supply? (hot and cold) Just general diagram of the plumbing. Should have drawing of first and second floor. I don't think they care about connection type. They want to make sure your not overloading the existing system. Basically you want to draw a line ( from point A to B)on your blueprint like 3" waste show the point of connection and pipe size it's connecting to, path it follows. Look for blueprint with the plumbing to get an idea. You might find out you have to change some of the existing system to ( larger pipe size ) to meet new loads

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

sanitary

addition,

whirlpool

As Jim suggested, they will probably expect a good isometric DWV drawing, not an artistic rendering. The library or bookstore should have examples if you can't find them on the web. Also check out the books at Lowes or Home Depot. Look for a "Code Check Plumbing" there for more info.

You will need to add up all the FUs (fixture units) for your fixtures to determine the vent to roof (VTR) size

Reply to
Rick

What they want is called a "plumbing isometric". Here is a web site with symbols and examples:

Click on the links farhter down the page to see examples. I just turned in my isometric using this site as a guide and things went fine with the inspectors.

DT

Reply to
DT

Right. Much better link than the one I posted. They're not looking for extreme detail. If you have any doubts ask someone if you can look at a set of drawings that was approved. Usually they're looking for pipe size, valve locations, cleanouts, etc., not types of fittings as that's covered by code.

RicodJour