Texas 85 mph - Don't work well with fog

Why don't you read your car's manual and see what _it_ says about it. You are advocating trusting a device to modulate your engine power that ony has "on" and "off" with no sense of what the conditions are or what is needed.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I'm well off the roadway, why would I need to get out of the car? Cell to call a tow if one is needed and plenty of fuel to sit and wait.

=A0And how are you going to get

Already mentioned by me in the very post you replied to.

BTW I am repeating information given in driver's ed manuals, many articles on "how to drive in bad conditions" and advice given in newspapers at the start of almost every wingter.

Where is your source for "continue to the next exit"?

Harry K

Not only thought about it before posting (more than once BTW) and know that that iss the advice given by professionals.

It is fine to come up with your own theories of stuff but don't expect people to buy them because _you_ said so.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

WTF is sthat supposed to mean? Care to put it in a form that has some logic? And why is it necessary to 'get away from my vehicle" if I am well off the roadway?

I am repeating the same information you can find from professionals both instructors, and, ye, even cops.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

When I was in California, I found myself cresting a small mountain with the morning rush hour traffic and then entering fog so thick I was not able to see anything but the tail lights of the car ahead of me and the headlights of the car behind me. I was panicking but these drivers slowed just a little bit and all followed the leader for several miles until the fog was gone. It all depends on how good the "point" driver is, I guess. I think things would have been much worse outside of rush hour with people traveling at higher speeds. I really thought we were all going to die but we hust

I thought about pulling over but up there in the mountains, every foot you stray from the traveling portion of the roadway could be a foot closer to a very steep drop. Staying in lane (no one passed anyone!) and proceeding slowly but carefully seemed to work out in that case. Every case is different, though. I really got the impression this was such a common event on that particular mountain that people just figured out what worked and coped.

Fog and blizzard driving are two very different things. Unless you're an emergency responder, there's little excuse for getting caught in a blizzard with today's weather forecasting technology. I am not sure I'd go very far off the road in a blizzard because you could get buried by a snowplow and end up like Per Hansa from "Giants in the Earth." I would try to find an exit and a motel ASAP or even a gas station or restaurant, especially if conditions were worsening. Two years in Buffalo, where snow starts in October and lingers until May.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I'm sure the speed limit is adjusted for weather. By law, you're supposed to do it yourself without any prodding by electrical speed limit signs.

Reply to
G. Morgan

"Today's weather forecasting technology". Now *that's* funny!

We drove through one a couple of decades ago on a trip from Eastern NY to East-central IL. The snow started about the western 100mi of I80 in PA. From there to Columbus, OH took eight hours, where it turned into ice. At times it was so bad that the only thing I could see was the tail lights of the truck I was glued to. If he was driving across corn fields, so was I. Trucks occasionally passed us at "normal" highway speeds and it was "dead reckoning" for 20-30 seconds.

I wouldn't have made the trip at all except that the FIL was in the hospital, for the last time. We wanted to get our son there to see him for the last time.

Reply to
krw

Speed limits are always "reasonable and proper". ...both the maximum and minimums, if any.

Reply to
krw

You didn't read what I was responding to, did you??? it said - and I copy / paste the quote - " that's where the road is, and get out of your vehicle and further away, prefera".

Read before you respond.

Reply to
clare

Around here you are always told to STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE. If the vehicle gets hit you stand a chance. If you get hit outside the vehicle, you are DEAD. If you get lost in the blizzard, you are DEAD.

Stay in the car. Run the car occaisionally to provide some heat to prevent freezing to death. Keap the exhaust clear to avoid gassing yourself to death.

Reply to
clare

Driving too fast for conditions - and if you argue that they throw "driving without due care and attention " - or "careless driving". That IS a serious charge.

Reply to
clare

And try to stay gassed up. I fill up at half a tank in the winter.

Reply to
Vic Smith

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Here in W-NY we don't get that kind of fog very often. If I were driving in that fog, I'd be scared senseless: do I keep up with speeding traffic? Cuz if I slow down will I be hit? I'd probably watch the tailights in front of me (keep up with them) and pray. The couple killed and so many others hurt, I feel so bad for.

Reply to
rochacha

Not only did I read it, I WROTE it and I did not write what you just quoted. Don't beliee me, read the post you responded to.

YOu are grasping at straws trying to justify your advice that goes agains all the professionals.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Kinda hard to run a car that has beens squashed. I have never seen anyone advise staying in a car on the highway in those multi car bashes. It is totally idiotic on the face of it.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Got rid of my car 27 months ago. Pedal power only now.

I am not advocating trusting a device.

I am stating not my hypothesis about USING a tool and the fact that several experiments confirmed it as useful for that purpose.

It had a sense of what it was designed to control--the speed of the wheels. It did not have only "on or off"--it could and did hold a steady wheel speed anywhere from about 300 to 900 RPM. And it gave me the freedom to adjust, discontinue, or override whenever my sense of everything else suggested I should.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

On 11-26-2012 13:56, Harry K wrote:> Why don't you read your car's manual and see what _it_ says about it.

Got rid of my car 27 months ago. Pedal power only now.

I did not advocate trusting a device.

I stated my hypothesis about USING a tool and the fact that several experiments confirmed it as useful for that purpose.

It had a sense of what it was designed to control--the speed of the wheels. It did not have only "on or off"--it could and did hold a steady wheel speed anywhere from about 300 to 900 RPM. And it gave me the freedom to adjust, discontinue, or override whenever my sense of everything else suggested I should.

-- Wes Groleau

?Grant me the serenity to accept those I cannot change; the courage to change the one I can; and the wisdom to know it's me.? ? unknown

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Define "south." Define "some time." Weather was nice last time I was in Texas. Time before that--1973--I didn't see much snow but there sure was a heck of a lot of ice everywhere.

Anyway, in spite of not changing the subject line, plenty of people in this thread have been talking about places other than Texas and conditions other than fog.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

So borrow your neighbors or are you afraid to check it out?

Glad to see you admit it is only your "hypothesis" and BTW even an hypothesis needs facts. In scientific definitions you don't even have an hypothesis, only a WAG.

Your "experiments" were not controlled ones and you got the answer that you were expecting..nay, hoping for. Subjective all.

Exactly what I said, on or off with no modulation due to conditions. All it knows is wheel speed and it will maintain that up until something stops the engine or exceeds the engine power to do so.

If you are so certain of your results, publish a paper somewhere it will be seen by he expertrs. They should be advised so they can change their advice.

And it gave me

My point exactly, stated differently - you did notice you have to _override_ the system you have controlling you vehicle when conditions call for it? That is one of the reasons the experts say "don't use it in bad conditions" - it adds time to the 'reaction cycle" by requireing a least ond control operation not needded if the CC is not active.

So far all you have produced to back up your "theory" is "I believe that..." type of stuff, nor cites, not even very good logic.

I'll take the word of experts over one persons personal opinion.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Harry - what advice have I given that goes against the advice of WHAT professionals?????

Here are just a few quotes and references that agree with me.

from

Once in a skid, steer in the direction of the skid. To do this, look where you want your vehicle to go and steer toward that spot. Be careful not to oversteer. If you are on ice and skidding in a straight line, step on the clutch or shift to neutral.

and

What to Do in an EmergencyIf you get stuck or stranded, don?t panic. Stay with your vehicle for safety and warmth. Wait for help to arrive. If you are in an area with cell phone service and have a cell phone, call for help. Remember, dialing 911 on your cell phone will connect you with the emergency services contact centre in the area. Please use

1-888-310-1122 for non-emergencies.

Be careful if you have to get out of your vehicle when on the shoulder of a busy road. If possible, use the door away from traffic.

If you attempt to free your vehicle from the snow, be careful. Dress warmly, shovel slowly and do not overexert yourself. Do not attempt to shovel or push your vehicle if you have a medical condition. Body heat is retained when clothing is kept dry. Wet clothing, due to the weather or perspiration, can lead to a dangerous loss of body heat.

Draw attention to your vehicle. Use emergency flashers, flares, or a Call Police sign. Run your motor sparingly. Be careful of exhaust fumes. For fresh air, slightly open a window away from the wind. Exit your vehicle occasionally to make sure the exhaust pipe is clear of drifting snow before running the engine.

In blizzard conditions, especially overnight, make sure one person stays awake, because help could take some time to arrive. Maintain circulation by moving your feet, hands and arms

from

What to do if you get trapped in snow Call the emergency services to let them know roughly where you are and your licence number. Always stay with your vehicle. In heavy snow it?s easy to get disoriented and separated from your car. Keep your car hazard lights on. Stay warm by running the engine. It?s vital to ensure that the exhaust pipe is not blocked by snow. If the engine fumes can?t escape, you could be overwhelmed by carbon monoxide gas which can kill. Even if it?s safe and the exhaust is clear, do not run the engine for more than 10 or 15 minutes in each hour.

from

In a Car or Truck

?Never leave the vehicle. If you are stranded, the vehicle offers a form of protection from overexposure to the cold. A single person walking through the snow is also harder to find than a stranded car or truck. ?It is okay to run the car for short periods to provide some heat. Remember to crack the windows a small amount to allow for the circulation of fresh air. Dangerous exhaust fumes, including carbon monoxide, can build up very quickly. This is especially true if the tailpipe is buried in the snow. ?Keep yourself moving. A car offers little room for you to keep your blood flowing, but exercise is a must. Clap your hands, stomp your feet, and move around as much as possible at least once an hour. In addition to keeping your body moving, keep your mind and spirit from wandering too far into gloom. While potentially dangerous situations are not a time of joy, keeping yourself from added stress will allow you to make smarter decisions when necessitated. ?Make the car visible for a rescue. Hang bits of bright colored cloth or plastic from the windows. If the snow has stopped falling, open the hood of the car as a signal of distress

from

The following are tips on what to do if you are caught in your car during a bad snow storm:

?If your vehicle becomes immobilized, stay inside the vehicle until help arrives. Exceptions - to clear the exhaust pipe of ice and snow and prevent the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning; or other precautionary measures that must be taken before returning to the safety of your car. ?Tie a bright piece of cloth to the antenna to make your vehicle more visible. ?If you have them, set flares; follow instructions. ?Run your engine 10 to 15-minutes out of every hour for heat; crack a window for ventilation. ??Exercise;? move your arms, legs, fingers, and toes to keep your blood circulating.

Reply to
clare

Harry - I wasn't talking about in an accident - but you are MANY TIMES safer in a car being hit than out in the open being hit.

I (and I believe WE) were talking about what to do when you cannot see because of the blowing snow to AVOID becomming part of one of those chain reaction collisions.

You STAY WITH THE CAR. That is the advice from virtually EVERY winter driving safety expert. And the same advice we were given when winter rallying.

Reply to
clare