tempcast fireplaces?

Hi I'm considering having a TempCast Fireplace installed.

TempCast wants a certified check. Has anyone delt with them? And how was the experience?

Thanks

Paul

Reply to
AskMeNot

My gut feeling is that you should drop this one like the proverbial hot potato. Handing out cash or certified checks, whatever, gives you no leverage over botched installtions. If you have a family lawyer or contacts in the building trades, ask them how a standard remodeling contract reads. You also should do more research into the credentials of this installer, like names of other clients, BBB ratings. Be fair, but be wary and don't become a victim. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

I have a Temp-Cast masonry heater insert in my fireplace. Dealing with them was fine. I picked up my unit at their factory with a rental truck and the only problem I had is they didn't give me all of the proper paperwork to get through customs at Buffalo so I spent an extra 30 minutes there. Other than that, no major complaints.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Reply to
AskMeNot

Yes, they are real (well, they were four years ago anyway) as I've been to their plant and seen the operation. I don't know where you live, but I live in the US and since Temp-Cast is in Canada, I don't blame them at all for requiring a certified check. This is actually fairly common practice.

My only real complaint with Temp-Cast is I don't think the heat output of their unit is as high as they claim, but otherwise it has performed pretty much as advertised. I used 6" of stone around the insert and this is probably partially responsible for my lower heat output as they recommend 4" of masonry as I recall. However, even with 6" of mountain stone, the exterior gets pretty hot to the front and rear of the secondary combustion chamber.

The unit burns clean as they say and the fires are fun to watch as they burn pretty intensely. The glass door stays pretty clean, but you still need to clean it every month or so. Don't burn green wood in the stove, however.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Would you buy it again?