Downspout/drain help wanted

I have some issues with the gutters, downspouts and drains that tie into the downspouts. I'm going to get on a ladder, hopefully this weekend and start to clear the roof of any junk, then the gutters, then make sure that the downspouts are free. I know that some of my drains which are tied to the downspouts are clogged, so I'll also be trying to run a hose down the drains to see how much I can find out about any existing clogs, then see what course of action that I'm going to need to take. I will need to remove some of the downspouts from the original clay drainage hookups at ground level. They look to have something like cement (probably is cement) holding the downspout in the clay drain. Obviously, I'll need to bust that out to get access to the drain. I'm sure a chisel will work, unless someone has a better/more proper technique. I'm wondering if I'll have a problem when busting it out with that cement falling down in the already clogged drain. Is there a way to do it so that this doesn't fall down the drain? Can someone advise me on the best way to get the downspout out and cleared from the clay drain? Any other help that you see I may need would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Danny

Reply to
Danny

Underground drain tile often causes more problems by being broke and clogged, Maybe abandon them in favor of long lawn discharge. You may cut it , and work it free and add a piece though. Or if concrete is bad pry it out

Reply to
m Ransley

I can second this, my house had old terra cota pipe from front to back that carried the drainage off somewhere. It got backed up, no amount of hosing cleaned it out. I capped it and used lawn discharge after making sure the lawn angled away from the house enough to prevent basement flooding. So far so good.

Reply to
ryeish

We use 6 inch corrugate hose for underground drainage. So far no problem in

8 years with lots of landscape constructuon stuff going over the lawn. Rotorooter has high power water pumps for clearing drains but that particular service is expensive. They send out a specially equipped truck to do it.

Reply to
Art

Snake the drain. When the snake stops, mark it and remove. Use this length to determine the location of the stoppage.

Dig.

Reply to
JerryMouse