Technique for dry fitting PVC pipe?

replying to trader4, DrainerDuder wrote: Take some scrap pvc pipe and chop it up with a pvc/hand/chop saw. Save all the pvc "saw dust" and be sure it's ONLY pvc saw dust. Clean fitting hubs and pipe ends with dry cloth and sprinkle pvc dust into fitting hubs and on pipe ends (static will usually keep dust in place) then dry fit. The pvc sawdust will act as lube. After dry fitting is successful you will easily be able to disassemble plumbing. Before cementing clean all pipe ends and fitting hubs with damp cloth and then pvc cleaner. Then prime and cement all pipe together. Because the dust is in itself pvc any stray particles left after cleaning will be mostly broken down by pvc cleaner primer and cement and fuse with all material. Hope this helps.

PS. Be 100% your sawdust is 100% pvc. Preferably the same type of the kind you are fitting. (Ie. All Sch 40 type)

Reply to
DrainerDuder

[...]

Cut slits in the ends of the tubing. I wanted to use PVC to route the wires and cables for an automatic gate opener, so I created a PVC contraption to conceal all the wiring. I didn't need it to be watertight (except where a wire or wires entered or exited - a tube of silicon does that), and I wanted it to be dis-assembled to make pulling the wires through the several elbows easier. Then, when the wiring was about right, I wanted to be able to join all the pieces snugly. Four slits (2 cuts) of about 1/2" length, with a narrow-bladed hacksaw on the ends of each length of tubing is sufficient to allow each piece of tubing to bottom out in each joint, yet remain tight enough to keep the shape I wanted. The cuts don't have to be perfect, and a quick swipe with sandpaper to clean up the burrs is enough. This technique should also work for dry-fitting PVC that will ultimately be glued.

Reply to
20watt

Two problems. If you want it water tight (plumbing) you are giving up most of your sealing surface If this is conduit, the code requires you assemble the raceway system, then pull the wire in. (max 360 degrees of bend between access points to facilitate that).

300.18 Raceway Installations. (A) Complete Runs. Raceways, other than busways or exposed raceways having hinged or removable covers, shall be installed complete between outlet, junction, or splicing points prior to the installation of conductors.

If none of this means anything to you, rock on. You can use lube tho as long as you clean it off before cementing the pipe together.

Reply to
gfretwell