Tankless hot water heater

No sweat. I use Google Groups. It's fairly simple and doesn't require a newsreader. Others here can explain how to use Usenet. A lot of the Usenet groups have died out though. Maybe you could just copy and past whatever you're actually replying to.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Yes, SHOULD. If the flow of hot is too low it no longer makes hot at the heater. Mixing valve is just that a mixer, not a heater. It need the right ingredients to mix. BTDT.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

We installed a small POU tank heater near our kitchen sink to supply basically instant hot water for the dishwasher - it took up to a minute or more to get there from the main supply . I also set the temp as hot as it will go , because it's main function is to supply 140° water to the dishwasher . The main hot water supply is a 40 gallon tank set at

120°+-
Reply to
Snag

Depends on her newsreader . I use Thunderbird , just click on the "followup" button and there's the text of the message I'm replying to . BTW , you (OP - original poster) are not replying to one person , but to every and any one that reads/posts here .

Reply to
Snag

I have the same issue. Takes a lot of water to get to the hot. I do get it hot for the first fill and let the DW do the heating after that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You'd be better off using a real usenet client rather than the Home Moaners website which is just leeching off Usenet.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Sounds to me like someone might open the hot water valve in the sink to get the flow up so they can take a warm shower. That sort of defeats the purpose of the no tank heater tho.

Reply to
gfretwell

That would work. In the shower, it is a fine line between comfy and cold. Just move the handle a couple of degrees. I learned to take a slightly warmer shower.

There may be other work around such as temperature setting. Lower would require higher flow. I'm only a guest for about 10 to 12 days at a time a few times a year so I don't fiddle with it

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

@all - I had no idea this is not an actual forum. I do have various newsreaders, just didn't know this isn't a regular web forum. It was a hit on a search I did for tankless... anyway... thanks for all the advice on how to get here another way.

@Ed Pawlowski quote: "I have the same issue. Takes a lot of water to get to the hot. I do get it hot for the first fill and let the DW do the heating after that."

You're lucky then. The dishwashers I looked at state they will "heat" water, but buried in the owner's manual is the minimum starting temperature is something like 60F. Obviously not true for all, but a good to know.

My current dishwasher is a worst-case scenario. It draws a couple of gallons each time, so it gets whatever is in the line plus the cold water sandwich and never reaches the hot water being delivered. And the tankless runs during the entire draw period, sucking gas, while delivering no benefit to the dishwasher. (Hence why we sequence and/or batch hot water use as much as possible.)

Instead of installing a booster in the kitchen, I'm considering replacing the dishwasher with one of the Bosch or similar units that hooks up to the cold water line. I won't get the benefit of point of use hot water for the kitchen, but at least I won't have to babysit the dishwasher's cycles and the tankless won't be running for no good reason.

Still not sure what to do about the washing machine. It will probably need replaced in 3-5 years, and I need a plan... preferably one that reduces costs and/or maintenance as I'm retired.

Reply to
Sue Morton

@gfretwell quote: "Sounds to me like someone might open the hot water valve in the sink to get the flow up so they can take a warm shower. That sort of defeats the purpose of the no tank heater tho."

Yep, we batch and sequence hot water use to take advantage of what would otherwise be water wasted just to bring the hot. And yes when lukewarm is really desired we do batch that with a need for hot. What really stinks is the alternate hot use must last as least as long as the use of lukewarm. Demands for hot water entering and leaving during a constant hot water draw causes temperature fluctuations as the tank revs up and idles down in (delayed) response to demand.

Reply to
Sue Morton

@Scott Lurndal quote "You'd be better off using a real usenet client rather than the Home Moaners website which is just leeching off Usenet." I'm seeing your point!

Reply to