Tanglefoot, on tree trunks?

Has anyone used Tanglefoot, on tree trunks?

If you have, did you put a protective band under it?

It says it makes removal and cleanup easier, but how bad is it if I never remove it?

It's amber colored so it will look funny, but I figure it will just be grey after a while.

How many times a season did you have to put it on? I only want to protect one cherry tree, and last season, the cherries were in great condition 2 weeks before they were ready to pick. Sometime in the last week or two, most of them were eaten, totally, by something. I have bird netting, and I don't think it was the birds, but there were a few ant going up the tree. I figure when the cherries were really ripe, the ants came in droves. ??

But if it's only 2 weeks, I should only need how many applications? Since it doesn't stay sticky forever.

I think this is the third year I've had the tree and I had about 100 cherries, but 80 disappeared.

Thanks

Reply to
Micky

I used it decades ago. Unless you know what the problem is, I wouldn't waste my time. It's only effective if the problem is from insects or small rodents climbing up the trunk. If it's ants and you put a "band" under it, they will go under the band, as will other small insects. One application will last for a season. And it will stay on the tree and be visible for many years. IDK about cherry trees, but my first suspicion would be squirrels and if they can jump from tree to tree or jump over the width of where you apply it, they will.

Reply to
trader_4

That's what it is. Ants.

Aha. I forgot to say that, but that was the other reason I was reluctant to use a band. You confirmed what I feared.

Good. Especially since my season is less than a month,

Oh well. I can't have the ants walking under the band, so I'll tolerate the mark.

I live right next to a section full of trees that's maybe 100 feet wide and miles long, but there are suprisingly few squirrels, and even fewer come into my yard. Only one or two a year. I have long wondered why.

I've seen the ants going up the trunk, and last year I thought I had once seen for sale sticky tape to prevent this, but couldn't find it. Can't find it this year either. Maybe it was never sold. So I used duck tape inside out, but it wasn't that sticky, especially after 2 or

3 days.

When I bought the house it came with a squeeze tube of Tanglefoot. I think he told me it was for the rose bushes, but I never used it. All but one rose bush died (though not from insects afaict) and the one that survived is about 6 fett wide and 15 feet tall now, supported by the pine tree next to it. I have to look in the basement and see how the 34 year old tanglefoot is doing. But I'll probably have to buy some and HDepot wants $45 for a 6.5x6.5" bucket of unspecified weight! But Amazon wants only $11, for 4.6 x 4.6 x 3 inches, item weight 15 ounces, but they don't give the net weight. Still, I seems a lot cheaper**

Interestingly, two of the people rating the tanglefoot on Amazon complained about how fast the price was rising, and one said he'd paid

11 dollars but would never pay 65, presumably the price being asked then. But the price being asked yesterday was $11.

**but it isn't.

68.6 x pi for big bucket 15.8 x pi for small bucket Assuming they are both filled the same percentage.

Still, I have only one little tree, diameter less than 3", so I'll get the small one.

Reply to
Micky