Suggestions on what to do with decrepit sandbox

When I bought my house 7 years ago there was a sandbox in the backyard, maybe 8 x 8, with pressure treated wood holding about 300 pounds of sand. I have no kids, and the sandbox quickly turned into a place where stray cats shit and weeds grow.

What can I do with it? Getting rid of it would be a major ballbreaker

- maybe fill it with 6 inches of topsoil and grow vegatables, flowers? Plant a tree in it? Any ideas to take care of the eyesore without spending a fortune wound be appreciated.

I dont want to blue tarp the thing again.

Thanks,

Bluesman

Reply to
Bluesman

Pressure treated wood with CCA is poisoness when burned and possibly Vegetables will absorb this poison.

Reply to
m Ransley

I use mine to start trees & plants

Reply to
Nick Hull

Suggestion: Demolish it; disposing of the wood in an approved fashion or use wood as pressure treated fence posts. Rake/spread the sand etc, around the garden/lawn etc. Is it not sand that they use on golf greens to level, fill in holes and dips etc.? Could add a small amount of fertiliizer and possibly lime if required at same time?.

Reply to
Terry

No problem when starting trees. Even vegetables would not be a problem when starting them as long as you moved them elsewhere for production. I doubt much poison would still be leaching out after 10 years.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Mix in a couple bags of portland cement, shovel out a depression, hose the whole thing down. When it cures, fill it up with water and add Koi.

Cats need to eat, too, you know.

-chib

Reply to
chibiabos

Get rid of it. I don't understand the 'ball breaker' problem. A few minutes with a bar and hammer or sledge will dismantle the PT lumber then a few more with a shovel to spread the sand in the general area. Probably has a floor of some kind which can then just be picked up. The only major problem is disposing properly of the PT lumber.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K