joist loading

We are installing a new whirlpool bath in an older home, upstairs. The joists are probably fir (ca. 1900), a real 2x11, 16" oc, spanning 15 feet. Being conservative, I give the tub, loaded with people and water,

1700 lbs / 16.5 sq feet. (103 lbs / sq. ft) Location is adjacent to outside bearing wall, which is 16" granite.

Will we end up in the kitchen below? How might we reinforce the floor to prevent this?

Paul

Reply to
E. Paul Wileyto

I have a two story garage, the second floor garages two heavy vehicles (Mercedes MLs) and is supported on 2x10s on 16" centers spanning 9 feet between steel beams. Your true 2x11 members have a little over 2x the load carrying capacity of a 2x10 (1.5x9.5). Even though your span is longer I don't think you'll have any problem if the members are in good condition.

RB

E. Paul Wileyto wrote:

Reply to
RB

It is a common misconception that cars represent a significant load in a structure.

My little car weighs 2200lb and is about 13x6 feet or about 78 sq. ft. While it is approximately four point loads of 550lb, the average load is only 2200/78 = 28.2 psf. This is far less than the 103 psf that the water-filled tub represents.

If we assume a 6000lb vehicle that's 15x7, then the average load is

6000/105 = 57 psf. Don't forget that one foot of water depth represents a 64 psf load.

Best advise - if you're worried, contact an engineer; if you're not worried, make sure your insurance is paid up.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly