suggestion on deep test plug for ABS pipe?

I removed my toilet exposing the flange on the floor. In order to diagnose an odor problem, I need a test plug that can enter about 2 inches into a pipe (pass the flange) and then plug it. The pipe-flange junction may be leaking, that's why I want to plug it deeper.

I went to lowes and the only test plugs there plug the end of the pipe. Any suggestions?

The flange hole is 3-inch, straight, not offset kind.

Reply to
peter

You're probably looking for an inflatable test plug. They come in various sizes to match the pipe diameter. You stick it in the pipe and inflate it with a tire pump to seal it tightly, then fill the pipe with water. When the test is done, let the air out, and the water will go down the drain. (in my case, I was pressure testing the whole house for a new install, and had a four foot high water fountain out of the cleanout plug in the backyard. :) ).

I've never seen these at Lowes or Home Depot, I had to get mine from the local plumbing supply store (you could probably find them online). My store had a great return policy. I purchased the plug (about $30 total), used it for my test, and was able to return it when I was done. Kind of like renting, except I had to pay for it up front.

For that matter, you might even try a rental store to see if they carry them.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Toy store:

Balloon.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Hey, I was going to say that.

Also, stuff a big sponge in it. I guess those have pores but Im not sure they go all the way through. And if it it is compressed enough, I would think they would be squished shut.

Or maybe better yet some compressable closed foam. I don't know if the stuff that comes in packing boxes is closed or not, but I save it for times that I'll need foam.

You're only trying to contain odor, not water, so it doesn't have to be physcially strong.

Reply to
mm

Find a solid rubber ball that will just go in. Drill a hole through the center. Install a long bolt with washers and a wing nut. Insert ball with bolt in middle of pipe. Tighten wing nut to expand ball.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young