Sub hiring a sub

Great case on People's Court today.

Brand new apartment building, 5 floors, 20 apartments, the one involved is $1.2 miillion dollars, 2000 sq.ft, 2 bedrooms and office.

General contractor hires painting contractor, painting contractor has his employees painting the outside and the halls, and doesn't have enough painters so he hires more, including plaintiff. Plaintiff is hired off of CraigsList. In the words of the judge, just like us shlubs would.

Painter does a bad job, lot of pictures of runs, overpaint, painting over bad window caulking (does the painter do the caulking too in this situation?), etc, judge agrees.

Defendant said it's common practice, and that he has 4 other crews in the same building. But he never makes clear if it's just that the other crews are subs, or that they also came from craigslist.

So, is it common practice for decent painters to hire help from craigslist?

And aren't there "deficiencies" that can't really be repaired? Mistakes that absolutely shouldn't have been made. I can't think of any right now but I think I've seen them.

Most of you won't build your own apartment building, but if you remodeled or put on an addition and you had a general contractor who hired a painting contractor who hired a new guy from craigslist, would you be ticked off?

(The painting contractor said he just wanted him to fix the deficiencies and he'd get paid, but the sub refused to go back and sued. The judge points oout that the unpaid sub can, at least until the court case was heard, file a lien and muck up sales and make everyone look bad. And what buyer won't expect a discount when he hears the first paint job was so bad, the painter wasn't paid?)

Reply to
micky

Probably more of a desperation choice. Most good contractors know plenty of good help.

I'd be ticked if he did a crappy job. I would probably not know that until too late. It is the responsibility of the contractor to hire qualified help.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

When my wife was building her rule was be in "every room, every house, every day" even when that was 16 houses at a time. She would have seen this guy doing a bad job and told him to get that rentadrunk off her job, get someone in there to fix the botched up work. The sub is responsible for his workers and the job they do. If it happened very often she would fire the sub. Subs usually get paid for one bad job tho. They just don't get to come back.

Reply to
gfretwell

And to supervise and ensure the job is up to standard

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I woudl think so.

That's what I figured you guys woudl say. Mostly I wanted to tell the story.

Yep.

Reply to
micky

I've seen a lot of jobs done by "real painting contractors" that I definitely would not sign off on with a final paiment. O've got high standards when it comes to finishing so I end up doing most of my own painting. I hired a gut to ro outdoor panting (siding) after getting several good references and seeing his work -and I still checked in on him.

Had some drywall repairs and painting done by the husband of a co-worker who was also extremely picky. Figured if she was satisfied with the renovation work he did on their house I'd be happy too. Was not dissapointed.

Reply to
Clare Snyder