Stupid question #243

I got a million of 'em.

I need to replace the fascia board on the front of my house. 'I' meaning, I need to call someone who will do that. Attached (and I use that word very loosely) to this board is the gutter.

Who should I call? Gutter installers won't know anything about replacing that wood part, would they? I don't particularly need new gutters, so if I call a carpenter, do you think they would take off and replace the gutter?

Or do I need to call both a carpenter (? or who?) and a gutter installer.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

I'm sure any decent carpenter/handyman would do both

Reply to
RBM

Hi, Siding installer usually does that.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

"RBM" wrote

I really need someone like that. I had a very bad experience with the last one I hired for a different job. I think that's what's holding me back from getting this taken care of. Thanks for the advice.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

"Tony Hwang" wrote

Oh! Well, that is someone who would do that kind of stuff, thanks.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

I second the motion that any COMPETENT carpenter should be able to do both.

Reply to
Robert Allison

"Robert Allison" wrote

I need a list of competent people I could just pick from. Having a carpenter I could trust would be a very good thing for me.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

You just have to dive in, and find someone, and use him (or her - heck, I had a lady mason!) again if it works out well.

Start with recommendations from trusted friends, coworkers, and neighbors. If none are forthcoming from there, ask a local lumber yard. That's how I found my excellent GC. Didn't have anyone, needed new doors installed, went with the installation guy my local lumber yard/hardware store had on their list. I lucked out. But that's how it has to be sometimes.

Cheers, Banty

Reply to
Banty

A nice type of gutter is "seamless", which has not joints which will eventually leak. I would call the gutter guys and ask them if they will also do the fascia. From my experience as a roofing and siding mechanic in the past, so will and some won't.

Reply to
C & E

You *might* be OK if you can find a good, reliable "Gutter Repair" contractor, but what you -really- need is someone who can size up such a job. Most of such critters can be described as "Hairy Beasts Of The Fifth Appendage", 'scuse my French.

For instance, if your fascia in back and on sides is not really solid, fiddling the front (only) *could* be a waste of time and $.

A truly good and honest estimator might tell you the same thing, but it's always better if you know "up front", and such estimators can be rare.

Gotta brother, boy friend or whatever with a ladder? :-)

Good Luck, Pudd>I got a million of 'em.

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller

Reply to
Puddin' Man

"Banty" wrote

Yeah, I struck out the first time in a bad way and it's made me leery.

Interesting idea. Maybe I'll give that a try. Thanks.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

"C & E" wrote

That's what I have, I had them installed a long time ago. In retrospect I should have had the fascia board replaced then.

Wouldn't kill me to get new gutters, though the only thing about the ones I have now are that they are faded and are hanging off through no fault of their own.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

"Puddin' Man" wrote

(laugh) If I had a handy person around with a truck and some free time, I sure wouldn't be bothering you guys.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

I've had similar questions. I saw a sign for someplace called "Mr. Handyman"

Below is the list of things they say they handle. Note it includes both fascia board and gutters, so presumably they could handle your job.

Has anyone here used them? I've got a bunch of little things that should be done that, like the OPs problem, seem to fall between the major professions, or that are just too small to justify calling someone out just for that one thing.

Here's the list:

Air conditioner installs Appliance installs & repairs Assembling products Awnings, install & take down Basement cleanup Basketball hoop install Bath tubs Blinds & draperies Bookcases Brick, stone landscaping & repair Cabinets Carpentry Caulking Cement patching Ceiling repairs, spray finish Ceiling tiles, drop ceiling install Child proofing Counter tops Crown moldings Decks: Repair, cleaning Doors, all kinds Dryer vents Drywall repairs Fascia board Fixture installs & repair Fences & gates Filter replacements Flooring: hardwood, vinyl, tile Flower boxes Framing Furniture moving Garage cleanup Garbage disposal Glass installs & replacement Grout repairs Gutters, repair & cleaning Handrails Handicap ramps, modifications Hang mirrors, pictures, decor Insulation, adding Landscape work Leak repairs Light bulb replacement Locks, repair & install Mail box installs Masonry work Move furniture Painting Paneling Patio & landscape stone installation Plaster repair Porch repairs Pressure washing Porch repairs Screen installs & repairs Shed building Shelving Shutters Siding repairs Sidewalk, step repairs Shower doors Shower unit installs Sinks & faucets Signs, clean & replace bulbs Sliding doors Smoke detectors, battery replace Storm windows Sump pump repair Storm windows Sump pump repair Sweeping & cleaning Tile installs & repair Toilet installs & repairs Towel racks Trim and moldings Vanity replacement Vents Weather stripping Window installs & repair Yard work

Reply to
Tim Smith

We just had fascia boards covered with aluminum on our condo. There is a small 1x1 or so strip at the top under the drip cap. The alum. was made to fit the shape of the surface and fit under the drip cap and the bottom of the fascia, covering old wood fascia entirely. I saw rolls of flat alum. on the truck so I think they had a way of extruding it to fit....I should have watched. I suspect a gutter or aluminum siding installer would do this. We tried for several years to get a carpenter to replace the wood fascia but couldn't find anyone young enough to do second story :o)

Reply to
Norminn

There's a big difference between:

a.) Asking a "Hairy Beast" to buy materials, load truck, do a 4-12 hour job. b.) Asking a "Hairy Beast" to take 20 min., go up the ladder, size a job up, see what you really need.

Might wanna try this:

Pick the 6 most reputable-looking "Gutter Install and Repair" firms out the yellow pages.

Run all 6 against BBB. Call the 3 with the best records and offering free estimate.

Google "homeowner contracting" and read very carefully.

Walk the estimators around the house and determine which sounds the most knowledgable and honest. And hire 'em.

Luck, Puddin'

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller

Reply to
Puddin' Man

"Norminn" wrote

Actually, I have considered that, though my house has wood siding. My neighbors did that. Of course, they would have to affix the fascia to the house, the problem is that it's separating from the house.

Heh. What I need is one of those teams from Designed to Sell, apparently all master carpenters who can do *anything*, and in a day or so, at that. They could re-tile my bathroom floor and install a new vanity while they were here.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

Yes, they should. We did similar jobs for years. These days though, I dont know WHAT the gutter installers know how to do. Give 'em a call. Depending on how "bad" the wooden fascia board is, it may be possible to cover it with aluminum fascia covers. Either way, the gutters have to come off.

A local 'handyman' with a good reputation (ask around) might be the guy for this job.

Reply to
Rudy

What city/town are you in ? Maybe "Somebody" knows "Somebody"

Reply to
Rudy

"Rudy" wrote

Middletown, NJ.