stump grinding

I'm having some trees removed, and the guy taking them down mentioned that since the trees are in wells that are about 6 to 10 inches deep, and I'll be filling them in with loam, I woulsn't need to grind the stumps (since they only go about 6 to 10 inches below grade anyway. Sound right? I want to plant some new trees in the area, and I'm unsure how they would grow so close to the old stumps.

Reply to
Jeff08171972

He is right. Normally they would not be ground down more than a few inches from original grade anyway.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Jeff:

J > I'm having some trees removed, and the guy taking them down mentioned J > that since the trees are in wells that are about 6 to 10 inches deep, J > and I'll be filling them in with loam, I woulsn't need to grind the J > stumps (since they only go about 6 to 10 inches below grade anyway. J > Sound right? I want to plant some new trees in the area, and I'm J > unsure how they would grow so close to the old stumps.

Joseph's response is correct, or the same as what they did here and the neighbours': grind to a few inches below grade. The only problem you may have is the dirt over the trunk and huge roots may collapse, leaving a slight depression. I would fill to grade after the fact, not prior.

  • Not Quites: The Good, the Bad, and the Homely.
Reply to
barry martin