stump grinding

I'm having some trees removed, and the guy taking them down mentioned that since the trees are in wells that are about 6 to 10 inches deep, and I'll be filling them in with loam, I woulsn't need to grind the stumps (since they only go about 6 to 10 inches below grade anyway. Sound right? I want to plant some new trees in the area, and I'm unsure how they would grow so close to the old stumps.

Reply to
Jeff08171972

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

The more wood you leave in the ground, the more chance you have of Necrotic Ring Spot (Leptosphaeria korrae).

Reply to
Michel Buonarroti

I've used wood chips in my compost for some time now. The chips don't always decompose in the composting process so some get applied to the field. They are fairly coarse chips, so nitrogen takeup is not a real problem as it would be with more finely divided stuff.

I've never come across Necrotic Ring Spot to my knowledge. Is this a regional thing? I'm in New England. Of course it's possible I just don't recognize the symptoms, but I haven't observed anything that looks like the name sounds (other than anthracnose). Could you provide more information about this disease?

Reply to
dps

It used to be called fusarium. It can be pretty bad on Kentucky bluegrass, but it also affects annual bluegrass, creeping red fescue and Chewing's fescue. It is most prevalent in spring, it can appear at any time of the year, and is particulary destructive to sodded lawns in new housing subdivisions developed from old woodland sites.

A good reference would be any of the editions of "Turfgrass Management" by A.J. Turgeon, or "Diseases of Turfgrass" by Peter Dernoeden.

Reply to
Michel Buonarroti

WRONG!

Necrotic ringspot is a disease of Kentucky Bluegrass and occurs mostly in poor draining soils of low fertility, just what you don't want for bluegrass.

It's possible you are confusing this with a "fairy ring" which will occur when the fungi consuming the roots ot the tree removed produce fruiting bodies( mushrooms) in a large circle.

"Michel Buonarroti" > that since the trees are in wells that are about 6 to 10 inches deep,

Reply to
Beecrofter

Really, I can't just cut the roots out when I dig the hole? I should add that I want to plant the trees nearby the old ones, and not on the exact same spot.