stump grinding and sod

I had an 18" pear tree stup ground up today. Can I just spread the dirt and wood chips around and lay sod or do I need to remove the chips? Will the chips hurt my Zoyzia sod?

Reply to
Jeff Bennett

my experience, giving rise to my advice, remove the chips. Hunks of wood chips in grass are not a good idea. If there is saw dust get rid of as much of that as possible as well.

rob

Reply to
George.com

Jeff

The grindings are made up of what amounts to fresh chips. That's if the tree was not symplastless (which you may call dead). Some of the grindings will me mostly soil. That would be ok. I would not try to grow sod on top of fresh grindings. You want to let the grindings compost for about a year before using them as a mulch. If you need to know why, let me know.

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr. Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!

fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss. Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that will give them understanding.

Reply to
John A. Keslick, Jr.