storm windows?

ngs are drafty

that this gives

"Up", as in the "up position" or "up", as in "installed"?

Reply to
keith

hings are drafty

g that this gives

C "Mostly it's storms down in the fall and storms up in the spring. "

I take that to mean "Up", as in the "up position", since the response was related to my comments about raising and lowering the storms/ screens based on the weather.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have a serious question for you:

Why do you waste hours fumbling with the storms to save a few pennies on electricity during the summer cooling season?

First off you're trying to maintain a much larger temperature differential, over 50 degrees, in winter versus 20 degrees or less in summer.

In other words, trying to keep a house at 68 degrees when its 0 outside is a lot harder than trying to keep the house at 72 degrees when it's 90 outside. In winter the marginal additional insulating value you get from storms makes a significant difference but in summer it does not make nearly the difference.

Second off, you're using a much more expensive fuel in winter (gas/ oil) versus relatively cheap electricity in the summer.

Reply to
mkirsch1

things are drafty

ing that this gives

I think you're talking past each other, was my point.

Reply to
keith

Huh? "Cheap electricity?" "Expensive gas"? What planet?

Reply to
keith

Depending on where you live.

Huh? No one uses electricity to heat their home?

Reply to
Ron

Umm, some of us with storm windows don't have AC in the first place. I'm in upstate NY and the storm windows came off 2 weeks ago. It was 94 F today, and believe me, it was brutal. I don't have AC in the house, just lots of trees, fans, and open windows, and it was about 83 F inside. Perfectly fine. My workshop, however, is attic space over my garage, and I have an AC unit in the only window. It was over 100 F all day up there, with the AC running full. Very uncomfy.

re: "Why do you waste hours fumbling with the storms..."

Hours? How many windows do you think I have?

P.S. I don't have storms anymore.

re"... to save a few pennies on electricity during the summer cooling season?"

errr...why not? Are you suggesting that I just throw the money out of the window...wait, I can't...they're closed.

Remember: "A Benny shaved is a Benny urned"

Look it up.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Seems like there is some confusion in this thread between storm windows and storm sashes.

Reply to
Ron

Electricity is now about more than twice as expensive than Ng for all the US by BTU output. There are electric furnaces and boilers, if it was cheaper everybody would be converting to electric.

Reply to
ransley

ngs are drafty

that this gives

Convenience. I look at it this way:

In the summer, the outside air is rarely more than 20 F hotter than the inside air. Yes, I'm losing some, but I find it a tolerable amount.

In the winter, the temperature is typically 40-50 F lower outside than inside, and the winds are higher. I deploy the storms during the winter both to save money and to decrease drafts in the house.

I'm just not a person to squeeze every penny until Lincoln squeals.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

hings are drafty

g that this gives

...and that all makes sense.

Still, all things considered, I'm much happier with the overall convenience (and efficiency) of the replacement windows.

It's not only about the "up/down" issue. Toss in the tilt-in cleaning feature, the fewer surfaces that need to be cleaned, the ease of screen removal for cleaning, the overall look, the efficiency, the huge reduction in future maintenance, etc.

Keep in mind what started this thread: the OP asked about *adding* storms.

My suggestion was to go one step further, forgo the storms and replace the windows for all of the reasons stated above.

Now, in my case, I needed to reglaze most of my drafty single pane windows, repair a number of screens, recaulk the aluminum storms, paint the trim, etc. etc. I don't know the OP's skillsets, but I saved a ton of money by replacing the windows myself. While it may have been more expensive, I'm sure it was no more work to replace them than to try and bring the old ones up to snuff.

For my money, I got more convenience, better efficiency and a much better looking house. I just think that the OP should consider all of the factors involved before he writes the check for *adding* storm windows.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hell, 25 YO Andersens are just getting broken in. I know personally several houses with 50 YO Andersens that are still in fine shape. If you must replace, at least get a quality brand, not some damn vinyl windows.

Unless the frames are rotted, those Andersens should be good for another

20-30 years with a little tune-up and maybe some fresh weatherstripping where needed. And unlike most window companies, Andersen does make repair parts available, and even replacement sash kits, for their old windows. Very backward-compatible.
Reply to
aemeijers

Do a web search. I replaced all of the casement actuators in my previous house. It was an expensive proposition but a *lot* cheaper than new windows.

Reply to
keith