Stock tank repair - Need washer or????

One of my metal stock tanks sprung a leak, and of course it's near the bottom. Normally in warm weather I'll empty it, clean the spot and use JbWeld. If the hole is over 1/16" I usually use the jbweld and glue in a short machine screw (not a sheet metal screw that animals will get hurt on). However, this time the tank is frozen to the ground, it's severely cold outside (around zero), and jbweld will unlikely dry, not to mention a wet tank. The hole is about 1/4". I plan to take a 1/4" bolt, with nut, metal washers, and rubber washers between the metal washers and tank. The problem is where can I get a washer with a 1/4" hole? Sure I can make one, but I'd rather just see what the hardware store has. There must be some plumbing type of washer. Otherwise I got to buy sheet rubber and all of that. Even if it just holds another month or two, until I can use the jbweld.

I have done this before using the neo-washers from pole barn siding screws, on smaller holes (and it worked well) but this is a larger hole and needs a larger washer. Any ideas? Needs to be a common item from a hardware store, farm supply, or auto parts store. We dont have any specialty places here in farm country.

By the way, would leather work? I got a piece of an old saddle strap. If this snow keeps up, I may have to use what I have laying around because I wont be getting to any stores for a couple days.

Reply to
dannydee

ace hardware is a better bet than a big box. they have racks of odd sized screws, nuts, and washers.

probably not but it would worth a try.

have an old inner tube from a bike or machinery tire?

Reply to
charlie

Go to the auto parts store and ask for a fender washer large diameter with a small hole

Reply to
Larry Fisk

It will for a while. This is only a temporary fix anyway, isn't it?

If you can't find rubber washers, try o-rings and some RTV silicone. Keep the tube of silicone in an inner pocket until it's time to use it so it won't get cold and stiff.

If you can get to the inside of the hole, just a piece of plastic sheet will stop the leak. If you can put a piece of plastic sheet over the leak and a rock or something to hold it, the water pressure will keep the hole sealed. When it gets warmer you can do a more permanent fix.

Next summer, try something like

to seal the places where leaks are likely to occur.

-- Jack

Reply to
Jack Hunt

Home Depot has washers with 1/4 hole. They should also have various sizes of rubber washer, and faucet washer, so you can find a rubber to put under the metal washer.

Bring two adults, one for the wrench on each side; in and out. Leather is acceptable. A little bit of grease will help the seal. It's a very low pressure environment.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Go to any hardware store and buy a cheap assortment of faucet repair washers. They are hard rubber and will suit your need.

Reply to
tnom

Chewing gum always worked for me...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Tank bolts made for attaching a toilet tank to the toilet bowl come with rubber washers and metal washers with 1/4" hole.

You may be able to just buy what you need at a real hardware store. At the BORG a few bucks for the kit.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt