Stinky tools

Had occasion recently to move a bunch of stuff in order to replace a clothes dryer. One thing that got moved was an old oak desk, with an assortment of hand tools in one of the drawers. I discovered that the tool drawer is quite malodorous.

I've run into this before. Years ago I worked at a shop where one drawer of a rollaway tool cabinet smelled exactly like vomit. And, a few years ago I bought a set of nut drivers in a plastic case (bought new) that smelled awful. I aired them outside for weeks to no avail and finally threw the plastic case away, which got rid of most of the smell but I found that even the plastic handles still stink.

In that last instance of course, I identified the source of the smell, but in those other two I did not. Anyone else have stinky tools? Diagnosis? Remedy?

Reply to
Smitty Two

I've had the same problem for years, mostly with Craftsman and other brands which have clear handles. Not so much with Snap-On. I'm mystified.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Spray with Krylon clear finish. I do this and also on metal tools to prevent rust from high humidity. If you think this would damage the plastic try clear shellac. WW

Reply to
WW

Sears had that problem big-time for several years with their clear/red/blue screwdriver handles. Some sort of outgassing from the plastic handles. Put a new set in a tight tool box for a month, and opening it would gag a maggot. Don't know if they changed formulas or OEM manufacturers or what, but haven't heard of it in several years. My 'clean' tool set that stays in a separate box had that problem, but after ten years, you have to hold the screwdrivers right up to your nose to tell.

Reply to
aemeijers

I had the same problem.

Wood chisels with clear handles from Sears.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

A childhood memory:

My aunt had a metal canister full of plastic buttons. Hundreds and hundreds of buttons.

When you opened the canister, the smell would almost knock you out.

Reply to
DerbyDad03