stinky shower drain

I have a weird problem. I have 1 shower drain in the house that smells like sulfur. No other drains or hot water outlets in the house smell. Just the one in my shower. It only smells after I have been running the hot water for about 2-3 minutes. It doesn't smell during the day or night, but just when the hot water has been recently used, and after a couple minutes at that. I have tried drano, bleach, and other cleaners but have no luck.

Any ideas? I appreciate all the help.

Thanks,

Jeff snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Jeff

Brad

How does a large quantity of hot water smell? Try filling your washing machine with hot water, and smell that. If you can smell it then, you probably have an anode problem in the water heater.

Reply to
Grandpa

I can fill the bathtub in the other bathroom on the same floor (upstairs) and there is no odor. Just in the shower drain.

Reply to
Jeff

I used to get the same behavior is one shower in a home I used to own.

Two suggestions:

IMO you might have have hair. skin, soap, dirt buildup in the local drain; trying a plunging the drain

Try this product (also available from ZEP) should be at HD, Ace or just about any home improvemnt / hardware store. The stuff really works; I use it a couple of times per year. One container will easily last more than a year.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Reply to
buffalobill

Have you removed the actual drain cover or just poured the cleaner down there ? If not, pull off the cover and have a look down the drain for globs of hair, goo etc

Reply to
Rudy

...because, am I right about this, without proper venting the water can be sucked out of the trap, allowing sewer gases to escape from the drain?

Greg Guarino

Reply to
Greg Guarino