Cieling Fan installation?

Been wanting to install one of those ceiling fan/light combos in my small bedroom for a while but have some question.

  1. Will the wires that currently go to the light fixture be all I need to connect the fan/light assembly?
  2. What is going to hold all that weight?
  3. In the summer, if you want to make the room cooler, should the fan suck up or blow down the air?

thanks people,

Reply to
Bob Brown

Yes, though you don't mention if there is wall switch for this fixture- highly desirable, many also have remotes. If doing this yourself, read wiring instructions carefully, turn off power, TEST that it is indeed off with some type of known good circuit tester, figure out how you're going to support fan weight while wiring it- eg, with bent coat hanger or piece of heavy wire.

Elec box in ceiling must have fan brace/ proper support. You may need to add to/ replace existing box.

Down summer, up winter- the directions will tell you. There is generally a reverse switch on the housing.

Reply to
Sev

Maybe. Depends on the fan and the way the current fixture is wired. Most likely you will be able to get the fan to work but will not be able to control the fan & light separately without a special switch. The fan control switch may not be able to *just replace* the existing switch depending on the current wiring.

A special electrical box designed for fans. Even though the holes will line up do not just attach the fan to the existing box. The Borgs sell a special kit with an expanding brace and electrical box for installing fans. They can even be used when you can't get access from above.

Depends on who you ask.

Reply to
RayV

There are several options. If you want to replace the existing light with a fan only and have it work from the same single location switch, you can do that. If you want a fan plus light, then you have several choices:

1 - Run another cable from the switch location to the fan, though that can be difficult.

2 - Get a wireless remote, bypass the switch and use it to run the fan/light

3 - Get one of the fans that will work both the fan and light off a single pair. Can't remember if it is Hunter or Casablanca, but one of them makes a series called Intelli? something that does this.

To support the fan, you either need a metal box nailed to a joist of similar support or else one of the expanding type box/hanger gizmos that are made for old work where you don't have access from above.

Regarding fan direction, its supposed to blow down in summer, so you feel more of the breeze in the room. In winter, it's supposed to blow up, so that it moves warm air up, across the ceiling, and down along the walls. However, I think the winter idea is dubious, at best. Never use mine in winter at all.

Reply to
trader4

Along with what everyone else said I will add that instead of using one of those expandable braces you can get a 2X4 and cut it to fit between the joists. Attach the electrical box to the middle of the wide side with screws and cut out the ceiling to fit the shape of the box. Then you can screw the 2X4 to the joists at the proper level you need to have the box level with the surface of the ceiling. This will have to be done from the attic of course.

Reply to
badgolferman

Thanks to everyone who replied, great ideas/help.

Reply to
Bob Brown
.

We just put in five fan/light combos in our new house. Two have hand held remotes and now I wish we'd done them all. Do yourself a favor and get a remote. If the fan doesn't come with one, you can purchase one for $25 - $30. It will let you run your fan at three speeds, plus it comes with a dimmer for the lights. I'm going back to get one for my office fan next week.

Reply to
maximovies