Steel furrings on brick and plaster

Hi,

I plan on installing drywall over old, damaged plaster and brick walls. I was considering using steel furrings (to which I will attach the drywall) for the job. But I'm unsure how to attach the furrings to the original walls. I mean, do I have to drill a pilot hole and instert a plastic screw ancor in posistions throughout the original wall and just hope to match up with pre-drilled holes in the steel, or do I just go for it and drive right through the steel into the plaster and brick with some other type of screw? Anyone have any suggestions, 'cause I'm at a bit of a loss here. Suggestions regarding steel stud dimensions or type would also be appreciated.

Thanks for any help, Brian Huntington

Reply to
Brian Huntington

You might want to consider just building a new wall in front of the old wall. Use 1 5/8 x 1 5/8 steel studs. They are only 5/8 larger then steel ferring strips. you can attach them with track to the floor and to the ceiling. Place this wall close to the old wall and you really wont lose much space and you new wall will be sraight and plumb.

Reply to
PAUL100

*snip*

Thanks a million Paul,

This is the best advice I've had on this topic so far, and I've been researching it for about a month now.

Brian Huntington

Reply to
Brian Huntington