Steel casters better than plastic for this use?

I'm buidling a shelf storage unit for the garage and am going to put it on wheels to make it easy to move for cleaning or any other reason I may need to move it.

Since this is going to be sitting in place on concrete for long periods without moving, I plan on using steel casters since I assume rubber casters wouldn't be a good choice that they would develop a flat spot over time, correct? I wonder if these hard plastic casters I see could develop problems with potntially a fair amound of weight sitting on them for extended periods.

Thoughts? Input?

Thanks

Reply to
Doc

Steel rusts, especially sitting on concrete. I use rubber; seldom have any problems, do shoot oil into the swivels once a year to keep them working well.

Reply to
Twayne

I've used cheap hard plastic casters for EVERYTHING in the garage without any problems. Buy 'em at Home Despot or Northern Tools.

I think steel casters would only be useful for loads exceeding 500 lbs.

Reply to
Howard Beale

I built a large paint storage cabinet out of several new but unused kitchen cabinets, the unit is 8 feet by 3 feet by 2 feet deep. Loaded its well over 500 lbs, I used steel casters, have had no problems moving the unit to clean under it after 8 years.

Reply to
RickH