Stealing from Peter to pay Paul

In NY it is illegal to commingle funds from construction projects. You can't finance one job you're doing with funds from another. Must be nice to be a government where you don't have to follow such silly rules.

Add to that the large number of national guard that are guarding other country's six thousand miles away instead of being available to help our people here.

Turns my stomach.

RicodJour

HAHAHAHA! Good one! Oh wait, you're serious...

4000 is not even remotely close to what is needed. There will be more than that anywhere as they'll fly/truck them in, but you're just kidding yourself if you think that 4000 people could control an area that size in that kind of chaos.

You didn't read that article I linked to, did you? They took away most of the funding for levy rebuilding and maintenance. No one mentioned anything as stupid as raising a city 8 feet. The hurricane was a big problem, the levy breaches made it a huge problem. That money would not have prevented the problem, but it would most likely have been a much smaller problem than what we are seeing.

RicodJour

I think it's safe to say your point was lost on him.

Reply to
G Henslee

Eleanor told you to say that didn't she?

Reply to
G Henslee

This is Turtle.

R , there is 9,000 National Guard Members in Louisiana and 5,000 is in Irag and we have 4,000 still here. The 4,000 is plenty to take care of New Orleans.

Now as to spending the money on building a new water pertection system for New Orleans. It is cheaper to just pay flood claims that to raise the city 8 feet higher than it is now.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

What about that wall they had proposed several years ago?

Reply to
FDR

Listen, we're too busy fighting terrorists, tapping phone lines, imprisoning poeple without trials and spending money rebuilding a country that something is blown up in everyday to be piddling with silly things like disaster prevention.

Reply to
FDR

I'd like to see them raise the city. That would be an awesome feat. We dont want to lose the historic buildings, so each one needs to be raised about 10 feet, then supported on shorings and (whatever they call those posts they drive real deep into the earth until they hit bedrock). Then fill under the building and move on to the next one. Of course raising the dome and many of those huge hotels would be a the biggest challenge. I really would like to see this done. Small houses are not a problem, it can be done, but doing the large buildings would be very interesting.

Of course, that's if any buildings remain after the flood !!!!

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

I'm Paul. Sent the checks to me!

paul oman

Reply to
Paul Oman

  1. Ocean levels have risen about 1cm in the last 100 years.
  2. There is no known connection between global warming and more severe storms. In fact, the most severe storms occur during cold periods.

Nature does not "adjust." No sensible person has ever so claimed.

That's what the Dutch do, and have been doing for centuries.

Reply to
HeyBub

Gee yes! No matter about lives lost, businesses and livelihoods disrupted or closed, jobs gone, personal homes flooded and possessions lost. Just pay the claims for the damage; until the next time it happens during the next

25, 50 or 100 years. The US can afford it. It's the dollars not people who matter anyway; or didn't everyone realize that? Of course with rising ocean water levels, plus future more severe storms, both due to global warming, levees will need to be more like 20 feet than 8 feet higher! Isn't it interesting how nature adjusts? More energy consumption, more global warming, more damage and disruption and flooding (world wide) followed by more cost and energy consumption to pump out the next lot of water, raise the levees and start again. Again!
Reply to
Terry

Nice rant. How about a solution????????????? Your plan is what??????????

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

clipped

I believe the levee upgrade was supposed to cost $2 billion, a fraction of the damages done in the lates flood.

I was born and raised in a city that was lifted up by about 8 feet (existing buildings). It was also rebuilt after it was destroyed. About 134 years ago. They also had the foresight to reserve the shoreline for all their citizens, not just the wealthiest.

As for the national guard - bless their hearts, one and all. The richest freaking country on the planet had people begging to be rescued for days before the emperor noticed, whicle 3rd world folks were digging out within hours of a monumental disaster. When in doubt, choose life? What a line...........

Reply to
Norminn