Standoff Post Base Clearance 1" vs. 1 5/8"

I need to replace one of my deck's standoff post bases. I'm finding it impossible to find a standoff base that affords 1 5/8" clearance as the one I need to replace does. At Lowes I picked up a PA66E-TZ post anchor but it's clearance is only 1". In fact, all the standoff bases I can find at my local Lowe's or Home Depot or even online are all 1" standoff height. The post itself is in good shape so I just wanted to replace the base but with the 1" standoffs I'm left with a gap of

5/8".

Does anyone know where to get a 1 5/8" standoff post base?

I was also thinking if cutting a piece of wood to attach to the bottom of the post to extend it the 5/8" (it'd be 6" x 6" x 5/8"). Problem there is I'm not sure the 5/8" piece wouldn't just get crushed with the weight of the deck on it. Is this a bad idea?

Reply to
Chazzum

if you were holding up the weight of a whole house, a 5/8" shim would get crushed. but holding up a deck should be no problem. besides, if it did crush a little, what would it hurt?

Reply to
marson

Chazzum spake thus:

A 5/8" thick shim should be no problem; just make sure it's cut with the grain the long way (in other words, *don't* cut a 5/8" piece off a 4x4 or whatever your posts are). You can tack it to the bottom of the post with a couple of small toenails.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl