stale smell

My 5 year old 24000 Btu GE window air conditioner has started emitting a stale odor when running and but only when the compressor cycles off. The filter is clean and I've never noticed the smell before. There is no discernable smell when the condenser is running. The unit runs well and does a good job of cooling as it has in the past. I remove it from the window when the hot season is over and I didn't notice anything unusual when installing it this year. Any ideas as to how to eliminate the stale odor it's giving off ?

Reply to
Special Ed

Lol........

Whatever you do, dont ask over in alt.hvac........

Cheers,

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Sounds like a drainage problem. Water not draining out of the pan of the unit. It's not noticeable when the air is chilled, but very much so when the fan is just blowing warm air across the top of this stagnant water.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

Already tried that (I suspect you already know) and you're absolutely right. I've never gotten such unpleasant and childish response's to such a simple, civil question in any NG before.

Reply to
Special Ed

Thanks for the response. I think that could be the problem.

Reply to
Special Ed

Wrong group......however, the vast majority of them are true and dedicated professionals, IMO.

If you had had a legitimate technical question, and had asked it in a professional manner, likely it would have been answered in great depth....

You were steered this direction, and rightly so--several of them also answer questions to homeowners here....but only when and if they feel like it.

====

Your problem is very common, you probly just need to disinfect the unit, as several others have already said...any number of ways to do this--just make sure and rinse the coil and condensate pan well afterwards so you dont leave any harsh chemical residue that might corrode the coils.

Cheers,

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

It's not the AC, it your armpits. Take a frikkin bath you filthy slob !!!

Reply to
jack-cough

Nope.

Or at least probly not, and not worth the time to research to be sure.

And yer entirely welcome.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

I think I have an admirer. Is there an alt.stalker NG?

Reply to
Special Ed

snipped-for-privacy@troll.com spewed:

"It's not the AC, it your armpits. Take a frikkin bath you filthy slob !!!"

Is this one of the "professionals" you refer to? BTW, thanks for your help.

Reply to
Special Ed

Chances are your unit is not draining properly, and the smell is from stale water accumulating in the bottom of the unit. You'll need to open it up to check that out. The unit should have it's own drain plug, and overflow as well which is most likely blocked. Drain it, and then a good cleaning will most likely take care of the problem.

Reply to
Lost-In-Translation

Nah, that was *this* newsgroup, which has its own share of vermin.

Yeah, PM, but I've asked stuff in alt.hvac myself and, um, enjoyed the special attention.

They do not like the amateurs, there.

Reply to
Dan Hartung

Aye......

The things people sometimes do to while away the tedium.......I do occasionally pull on the cat's tail, simply to see what kinda reaction I get.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

message

Ohh....we are gonna remember that one...LOL

Reply to
CBHVAC

message

Heh......but *you already knew this, if I am to have any clues.

All in good fun, and generally I *am sincere.

Just dont ask me how you can tell the difference between the various grades of aluminum on sight, and then tell me you are building a one-man helicopter in your home shop...

Or about building a barbeque, if you havent yet figured out how many BTUH you desire and the fuel type you will be using.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Yup...just pokin back at ya..

Yup, cant complain about your presence there....

But....but...but....I really need to know if this 26g sheet is gonna hold that P+W Turbo in place securely...

Reply to
CBHVAC

With the P+W "PT6" you should be ok.. But with a Garrett would require less plumbing! (air goes in the front and out the back!) ;=)

Reply to
Chuck