stained wood floors ?

I have hardwood oak floors in my house. I'm finally getting around to ripping up the 25 year-old carpeting and am finding green bumpy stains all over the wood. It's like a green ooze that hardened on the wood (not sure how to describe it). So far, I have only done the dining room, but now I'm concerned. I tried liquid cleaners, solvents, and a variety of chemicals that are supposed to remove stuff from wood, but nothing is getting this gunk off. First of all, what is it? Is is something from the old carpet padding? Second -- if I hire someone to sand the floor, will that get it off? I don't want to hire someone if it won't come off -- I'll just bite the bullet and get new carpeting (although I don't want to). any advice would be appreciated. Nia

Reply to
niatum

Best would be to get a few estimates on price but i will bet its just carpet pad or surface mildew , nothing to worry about. But then a Pro at your house will know. Also dont go for 2 coat jobs, 4 is better, kitchens more. The first 2 coats realy seal and dont build film

Reply to
m Ransley

I don't have a clue, but yes, it may be from the pad.

Get a small hand sander or even a block of wood a piece of sandpaper. That will tell you if it is just topical or if it has saturated some. If it comes off, have the floors redone and enjoy them. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski