Stability of large tv on stand

Hi -

We are upgrading from a 20" to a 32" tv and need to figure out if our current stand will be stable with the new tv. I have searched all over and can't find any info that sets standards for dimensions of stands for different size tvs.

THe stand we have is a fairly tall one - taller than wide. The top shelf is 29" wide by 19" deep, and it's about 36" high, on casters.

So - here are my questions:

1) How do I tell if it will be stable for a given size tv? Is it sufficient that the base of the TV - the part that actually rests on the stand - fits the top shelf, regardless of how much the rest of the tv protrudes to sides or rear? Is there a maximum height of tv that should fit on a stand of this configuration?

2) Is there a minimum size stand for a 32" tv?

3) If we do stick with this stand, how could I anchor the tv to prevent it from falling if a kid tugs on it? I have no problem with anchoring the tv stand - I have furniture anchor straps. But that won't help keep the tv on the stand, and I'm not sure how to fix a strap to a tv without doing damage to the tv - ie drilling into it!

Would appreciate direct replies in addition to group: michael snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Thanks! Michael Jasper

Reply to
MIchael Jasper

Ques. 1. How do you tell if it's stable??? Push on it and see if it falls over. Ques 2. Is there a minimum size stand for a 32" tv? 32" if you're going to lay it on it's face Ques 3. How could I anchor the tv?

2x4's and tie down straps Final solution but the toughest--go out and buy a stand made for the TV. Do you actually realize just how stupid you sound? MLD

Reply to
MLD

That's a good thing to check out. Many new TV stands will have information provided regarding the weight and size TV that it can safely hold. However, the store where I bought my 32" TV (years ago) provided a stand with the purchase of the TV. Even though they sold them together, the stand was not able to handle such a heavy TV. I could tell this by putting the TV on it and moving the wheeled stand around a bit. The stand "flexed" far more than I liked. I acquired a more squat and sturdy stand and felt a lot better about the stability.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

You said "kid". So, stop asking these questions. There's only one answer: Secure it as if you expected it to be stolen by two big strong guys. If your new set is anything like my 32" Sony, it's very front-heavy. While preparing to move out of my previous residence, I reached behind the set to undo some audio wires. I needed just a tad more room for my hand - maybe 1/2", so I nudged the TV. It toppled forward and fell two feet onto a wooden speaker stand, crushing it as if a car had driven over it. What was left was crumbs and dust. The TV fell with the screen facing the floor, but survived without a scratch. I have no idea how. But, if that had been a little kid, we would've been in the E.R. all day.

Poke around online for wall brackets. Mount the bracket in such a way that the TV appears (as much as possible) to sit on the entertainment center. Or something. But forget "which furniture" - nothing will stop the TV if someone tugs on it, unless it's fastened in place.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Thanks Doug and Paul. Appreciate the helpful input.

I still have a 20" so didn't have a sense of the balance issue.

As you pointed out, the issue is how do you fasten the tv itself, even if the stand is stable? I have furniture anchoring straps, but they need to screw into something wooden, not really helpful with a tv. Is anyone aware of any kind of adhesive-based anchor that would be sufficiently strong to inhibit a 32" tv from tipping? Not sure I understand your point about the wall bracket - do you mean to attach the tv to a wall bracket rather than rest it on the entertainment center/stand?

MLD - sorry that my attempts to safeguard my children's lives sounded stupid to you. I suggest ignoring this thread so you don't have to waste any more of your obviously superior intellect.

Michael

Reply to
MIchael Jasper

Ever seen the wall brackets used in airports & hospitals? It's a pivoting, adjustable arm with a platform for the TV. You find a beam and attach the thing with lag bolts. Might be overkill, but I was obsessive when my son was little and I assume you are, too. As far as attaching something to the back of the TV, you might want to do some research at the web sites of TV manufacturers before heading to the store. I'm wondering if some models might have solid anchor points for institutional situations. If so, you could go to a real hardware store, buy some of that braided metal cable used for bike locks, and get creative.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

It's my personal experience that the center of gravity of a TV is right in the middle of the TV screen. And so it's incredibly easy for the dumb things to tip forward, falling right on the screen glass. Landing on kids, driveway, floor, whatever is in front of the screen.

Whatever else you do, please rig the TV so that it's less likely to fall forward. The TVs of the world now days, the front edge of the set has no real support. I think this is asinine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Whatever you choose to do make sure it is secure... below is info from the Consumer Product Safety Comission... TV's falling on kids is a real problem:

From

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) estimates that

8,000 to 10,000 victims are treated annually in U.S. hospital emergency rooms for injuries associated with the tipover of furniture. CPSC also receives reports of about 6 deaths each year. The majority of these injuries and deaths are to children.

These injuries and deaths frequently occur when children climb onto, fall against, or pull themselves up on such items as shelves, bookcases, dressers, bureaus, desks, chests, and television stands. In some cases, televisions on furniture tip over. Children often climb up the open drawers of furniture.

Reply to
Rotation Slim

i went through the same thing. i checked around for a stand for the

36" sony but too expensive. i built one myself almost desk like in shape that the tv sits on top and all audio gear below so that the weight is a little better distributed. 240lb brother in law jumped up and down on the top before we placed the tv in. top heavy is a very dangerous concern - i had a very nasty experiance with a 120 gallon fish tank.........
Reply to
Fogbank

The shelf depth and caster location is important. Most of the weight of a TV is in the fron. It is IMPORTANT that the TV be properly balanced on the shelf. I recenly build a stand from oak and put casters that are hidden by a skirt on the front. When I put my 186 pound TV on it, the stand was unstable as the casters were mounted a few inche back from the front. It could have easily tipped and I'm positive it would if one of the drawers were pulled out to change the balance. .

I moved the casters up a bit and moved the TV back two inches. That fixed it and I have no worries. The back sticks out over the top by a few inches and that is OK is it is not rally visilble. It was designed to be that way as the back enh has very little weight.

Hard to say until you put the TV on and check the balance. Remember that

50% of the weight is in the first few inches of the picture tube front. Lower is better. IMO, many stands are too high. I build my own because I wanted to have something practical, loks good and be easily moved to clean around. I do woodworking so it was easy to do. I could have bought one for $100 but instead I spent $130 for material and spent a couple of weekends building it. It would probably sell for $500.

You could put an electrice fence aroud it. The best behaved kids can pull at a TV to change the channel or something. You could drill intothe case on the back or maybe wrap a strap around it and then secure the strap.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski