More on Shop Vacs

What's the minimum power (or Max HP as noted on the boxes) one should get for a general household use Shop Vac? By this I mean vacuuming the cars, cleaning up wood chips and paint chips, and general clean up. I am not expecting any heavy industrial usage or the need for wet vacuuming.

Ease of use (i.e. mobility) is more important than the ability to suck the rust off a trailer hitch.

Any suggestions? Location Toronto Canada (i.e. Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Costco)

Ian

Reply to
Ian

I have one of the smaller units, Shop Vac brand from WalMart. It does everything I want it to do. I've never come close to filling the tank and the smaller diameter hose if good for cleaning the car. I do use it in my woodshop for cleanup. The larger one is probably a little faster for that, but I'm not going to buy new for that reason.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

According to Edwin Pawlowski :

You'll find that a 1 1/2" hose unit will plug up a lot with general woodworking chips. A 2 1/2" hose unit is preferable on that alone.

I got a vague impression last I looked that ShopVac wasn't selling 1 1/2" units anymore.

1 1/2" hoses are useful for cleaning cars and crevices, but for more general workshop use, the 2 1/2" is pretty important. At least in my experience.
Reply to
Chris Lewis

Dumb question. My Shop Vac has the 2 1/2" hose as does my table saw "exhaust pipe". Is there some sort of adapter to use to fit the 2 together? Thanks, Eileen

Reply to
E Gregory

According to E Gregory :

You mean 2 1/2" - 2 1/2" adapters or 1 1/2 - 2 1/2" adapters? Or simply a female-to-female 2 1/2" adapter?

There's several different 2 1/2" "standards" ("Standards are great because there's so many to choose from") that don't quite interoperate. Lee Valley sells an adapter that will adapt the different ones. I suppose this would do female-to-female too, or leave one of the hoses off.

Most places selling shopvac or dust collector parts will have 2 1/2" to

1 1/2" adapters. Best to make _sure_ it fits your 2 1/2" hose.
Reply to
Chris Lewis

I suppose the best case adapter would have a female end which is slightly larger than 2 1/2" and a male end which is slightly smaller than 2 1/2". The larger female would fit over the pipe from the table saw and the smaller male end would fit into the Shop Vac hose. The pieces that I need to attach to each other are exactly the same size, 2

1/2". Eileen
Reply to
E Gregory

According to E Gregory :

Leave one of the hoses off ;-)

The Lee Valley units will probably do the trick.

See

Or:
item C or D.

Or replace the two shorter hoses with A or B.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Yes -- Duct Tape

Reply to
No Spam

You may find a sleeve that will fit into the hose, but that will give some restriction. I'd go with the duct tape.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

FYI, you can buy a HEPA filter for a shop vac.

I needed a HEPA filter for a dirty job, but I didn't want to buy an entire, new vacuum cleaner. (I tried renting one but was unable to do so.)

I got mine at the Sears parts store.

Anne

Reply to
Anne