squirrel trap plans

they must eat too, just like humans.

so what sort of fruit trees? do you really need that fruit and are going to use the fruit?

by the time the birds and insects get to fruit trees around here theres little left to harvest

reply:

I tell you what. You do what you want to in your life, and I'll do the same.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Andy comments:]

Wow !! Why would you assume that the squirrel would ever try to go INSIDE the tube.... You don't know squirrels....... they ALWAYS go on the outside..... Damn smart buggers...... I can hardly ever catch one in a trap. Fortunately, I have a scoped Henry... Works great ...... Much more fun, too...

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
Andy

Andy comments: You haven't had to live with them..

One got into my motorhome and ripped out a bunch of wires to carry off to a tree somewhere to make a nice nest..... Several thousand to ffix it..... After that, ... they weren't so "cute".. They are "tree rats"

As long as they stay in my neighbor's property, I like to look at them. If they come over the property line, I have a scoped Henry that will enlighten them as to property rights....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
Andy

Jim E has caught two the first day on his by them going inside the tube. I caught one. I did slather the outside of my tube with peanut butter, and made a nice stepoff point for them to step on to the outside of the tube.

BTW, I don't like the words should, probably, always, and never. They seem like they don't even belong in the English language, as they define nothing.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

I have a scoped Marlin 60 that works very well. Trouble is, you have to sit out there so long in the heat and skeeters.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Because the squirrels here live in burrows and caves? Tubes and holes are their safe haven, and where they are raised?

No, you don't know the squirrels where I live, or where Jim E. lives. Either you are wrong, or Jim and I have some seriously dumb squirrels. Or the squirrels where you are happen to be neurotic in not liking dark hiding places.

Are they liberal squirrels?

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

more will just move in, think of stopping a flooding river by bailing with a bucket

Reply to
hallerb

more will just move in, think of stopping a flooding river by bailing with a bucket

reply: And just like the evil republican conservative slum lord that I am, I will keep evicting them. Wait, that's killing them, then evicting them.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

More like- think of bailing a boat. You won't dry the river up, but you might get rid of enough to harvest a crop once in a while.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Would you like to join my vegetable rights group? Plants have feelings too, adopt a broccoli. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

2 days, no captures. The video camera is flaky- but I've got video of a blue jay and a chipmunk cleaning up the peantbutter. . . .

And several of a very acrobatic squirrel who has discovered that the key is to go into the 'dunking' end, and don't slow down. Then he pops out of the 'entrance' end and clans up the peanut butter he grabs on the way through.

So the width of the barrel and length of the tube is important--- but

4" is plenty for 'my' squirrels.

I've been having some luck catching chipmunks in a 5 gallon bucket with a handful of sunflower seeds thrown on the water's surface. So I put some peanutbutter on some bits of Styrofoam and tossed them into the barrel to see if I can entice him to go swimming.

Had my first fresh picked peach in 3 years yesterday. Heavenly.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

there should be laws against killing animals just because you can.. one day a disease may look at you the same way.

just trap and relocate.........

Reply to
hallerb

On Jul 16, 10:50 am, "Steve B" wrote: .

Andy replies:

You're right. I should probably choose my words more carefully. I always give it a try but never seem to be able to accomplish it......

For the record, tho, one can't define "nothing" since there is nothing to define.

Regarding squirrels. OK.... Your experience is probably different from mine. I always prefer to shoot the little buggers with my scoped Henry from the back porch, but I always am aware that many people never have the opportunity......like they should.

I have a good recipe for squirrel stew, tho..... I call it my GSP special (Gustatus Similis Pullus).....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
Andy

there should be laws against killing animals just because you can.. one day a disease may look at you the same way.

just trap and relocate.........

Reply: Is that what you do? What do you actually do with the squirrels who invade and tear up your property?

What's that, Sparky? You don't actually HAVE any squirrels where you live, you just like to advise other people. Your life is so shallow and empty and perfect that you have nothing else to do with your days than to tell others what THEY should do?

I thought so.

You may go now.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

-snip-

Even if there was, they'd leave in the exception for protecting crops or removing nuisance animals.

Cognizant diseases that see? Next you'll be telling me that meat thinks!

BTW- you never clarified whether you object to killing *all* animals or only the ones that don't provide *you* something by their death.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

There should be laws against those who protect vermin just because they are cute. They are the ones who allow disease to spread.

Reply to
krw

-snip-

Tastes like chicken? TX squirrels must be different from our grays. The local squirrels are dark meat- most reminiscent [to me] of beef belly.

I must say I haven't eaten any in a long time-- but when I hunted them regularly I usually cooked them in a spaghetti sauce. Lots of garlic, tomatoes and a long slow cook.

So what's your stew recipe?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Squirrels are nothing if not trainable, adaptable, agile, and flexible-

1 minute video showing how the squirrel reacted when I moved the pipe a bit so he could run past the pivot point from the 'dumping' end.

Gotta get a bigger barrel.

Jim [the noises that sound like gunfire in the background are hickory nuts falling on my neighbor's tin roof.]

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

What is the chain for? I missed something here.

Reply to
Oren

I am amazed that he was able to turn around, since he came back out head first. I am using a barrel that I cut about six inches out of to use on my outboard motor. Mine mounts with that end near the barrel, as the balance point is setting down in there. I am going to go to HD and get some longer pieces of pipe. I mounted mine on a 1 x 3 so that the tipping point would be farther out. It's balanced pretty close, so once it starts to go down, it goes fast. I was considering a hook latch that the squirrel would activate at the end of the tube, so that he would be at the end, and all the weight would be out there. The slightly past center tipping point would bring it back up so that the hook latch would automatically reset.

My neighbor is really having problems with his apricot trees. I'm going out to dump mine this evening, and take it down to him. He can use this prototype, and I will make the next one a little better. The mistakes I made are that I think the pipe is too short, and that I need a better hinge for the balancing point, as I think there is a little resistance in this one. Will take a picture of it today and post to Flickr. You will see how adding the 1 x 3 will change the balance point, and I believe that if you use slightly larger diameter pipe that they can't jam themselves in there to get traction.

I have a rod, and a piece of 1/2" or so tubing that I might use for the next balance point so as to get the least friction on the balance point as possible. Considering some other things, too. I have a MIG welder, and it is easy to cobble rod together and make these things.

When the tube first starts to swing on yours, it seems to go slow, maybe slowed by the chain. It has to be free of any hindrances or resistance.

I had also thought of putting a nice photo at the end of the tube, something like blue sky and clouds so they think it's open on the end. ;-) Or, you wouldn't have any X rated female squirrel pictures, would you? And I wonder, there is lots of scents available, is there eau du squirrel? I'll google.

This is getting fun.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B