Mixer motor suggestions

I bought an old cement mixer. About 24" in diameter, about 24" deep. Old, old, old. Has new big pulley on the end of shaft, and motor plate. What horsepower would you recommend so as to handle a good days work, and not overload it or kick the 20 amp breaker? I believe I can do with a one speed one direction motor. They are all over the map from $150 to $700.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

My old Builder Square mixer uses a quarter horse motor

Check Surplus Center on the net. They have fractional HP motors cheap sometimes.

gfretwell

Steve-

I was going to give you a SWAG of 1/3 to 1/2 hp but then I remembered I used to own a Conoga mixer (a buddy "borrowed" in 1997 and wound up taking it to Texas)

Away, check this out, I think it matches your description pretty well.

the hp is important but so is the rpm.....you have two general speed groups, 1725 & 3450. I don't know for sure but I'd guess 1725.

Yes, one speed, one direction.

I'd suggest a Baldor 1/2hp , new something like $250 to $300.....check craigslist maybe you can find a used one cheap.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Nah- he said "OLD" -- Here's a twin to mine-

1/2 HP 1725 with a 1 1/2 or 2" pulley has kept mine going all day with no problem. I'm guessing a 1/3 would work, too.

Steve says it has a 'new big pulley'. The size of that pulley makes all the difference in the world. Mine is 19". The geared part of the drum is 24". I'm not sure what my RPMs of the drum are-- but I'm sure it matters.

My usual 'load' is 2gallons of cement, 4 of sand & 6 of gravel. [or 2 bags of redi-mix. . . or is it 3?]

I paid $50 for mine in 1988. Now there's $50 that has gotten a workout! I bet I've mixed 20 yards of concrete in it over the years.

If I was looking at craigslist, I'd grab a free washing machine with electronics problems- and yank the 1/3 HP motor out on the way to the scrapyard.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

That's darn close to what I have.

Reply to
Steve B

That looks a lot like mine, even down to the steel wheels. I'm going to have to put a hitch on it so I can drag it around with the ATV, but that's no problem. Looks like 1/2 hp should do it. This one has a 24" ring gear, too. And cost me $50, too. Gotta get it going to pour the footers for my steel shade cover.

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Reply to
Steve B

-snip-

The 'hitch' on mine is a piece of 1/2" rebar, bent to a U & welded on the front. Works on a ball or pintle hitch.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

There is a 1/4 HP motor on the one I use. Same size as yours. Remember there is a lot of gear reduction in the barrel gear and motor pulleys. If you want to get fancy you could use three step pulleys and a 1/3 HP motor.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

What RPM was suggested? Around 1500?

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Reply to
Steve B

My motor is 1725. The end result is what matters, though. I think you're shooting for 18-20 rpm's of the barrel.

My 1725 motor has a 1/2-2" pulley. That goes to a 19, that turns a

  1. 25 years ago I would have done the math in my head-- I wouldn't try it now with a calculator.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

We had a big old "leyland" repulsion start 1HP motor on the mixer on the farm. About the size of your average 3-5HP motor today, and it weighed a ton.

Reply to
clare